How to change the table name in scores of measures

Hi
I’m not sure which category to put this question… but here goes.

OK. I have simplified my model. This affects 2 facts tables - prices and dividends. I have scores of measures associated with each table. What I want to do - is remove old tables (and associated tranformations) and use 2 new tables (simplified/short transformations). The result of those tables is the same but the transformations are slicker.

PROBLEM. I have scores of measures associated with both tables. The measures will have the old names won’t they.

Can I ? 1) delete old tables and just give the new ones the old names? Will that work?

1 Like

Hi @Ericadyson,

Just the table names, right?

Here’s a thought. Instead of creating/adding “new tables” in PQ with your optimized M code, just replace the code in your original script. Then you’ll have the new code with the old table (query) name.

Once you’ve closed and loaded that, rename it afterwards - I believe it should update all places it is referenced - but just to be safe please make a copy of your work first :wink:

I hope this is helpful

5 Likes

Hi Erica,

@Melissa maps out exactly what I did in your situation earlier this week. Slight difference being I was changing from a HTML data source to some SQL tables as well as making the query slicker.

I also used the Power Query formatter, below, which made checking/debugging my code much easier.

Power Query Formatter | Beautify your Power Query code

David

1 Like

Hi Melissa - now why didn’t I think of that. So much simpler and reliable. Thanks a lot. All done and my measures are fine! Brilliant!

2 Likes