How do I schedule refresh

Hi
I have two scenarios :

1. a PBI desktop file that gets data from excel files stored in Sharepoint - this is then published to Power Bi and shared.

2. a PBI desktop file that gets data from an OFeed to Dynamics 365 - this is then published to Power BI and shared within Dynamics 365

For both instances I want the data to be updated automatically - How can I do this?

I’ve read MS documents on the subject but am none the wiser - step by step instructions or pointing me in the right direction if these already exist would be much appreciated

Hello @AliB,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

I’m presuming that for the first scenario that you’ve mentioned in that you’re using Sharepoint Online and not the On-premise option. If you’re using Sharepoint Online option then you just need to go to the Power BI and configure the Schedule Refresh option. But if you’re using the Sharepoint On-premise then you’ll be required to set up a Gateway connection for that.

For the second point, I guess you will require gateway connection to establish a Scheduled Refresh.

I’m providing few of the links below of the documentations, query asked on to the Power BI Community Forum as well as videos about how to set up Gateway and enable the schedule refresh options.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you to meet your requirements.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Hi @AliB, did the response provided by @Harsh help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get, and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Thanks Harsh.

I’ve managed to refresh the data both using the personal gateway and the online dynamics 365. However, the reports that are shared don’t refresh?
Is there something else I need to do ? If I hit refresh on the report in Power BI itself it updates but the shared report in Dynamics 365 when I hit refresh doesn’t update the data until I’ve hit refresh within Power BI itself.
Is there a way to automatically refresh the visuals as well as the dataset so that the Refresh button from within Dynamics pulls back the updated dataset?

It seems all I needed was patience

Everything refreshed as I wanted it to

@Harsh Thanks again for your help

Hello @AliB,

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the late reply. Actually I’d a system error last night and had a constant discussion with my IT Team and Support Center since then to resolve that issue.

You’re very much welcome my friend. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, in the documentation it also states that it could take upto at least one hour to get the data reflected while we set up the schedule refresh. In my case also, I’ve a scheduled refresh at 12:30 p.m. but sometimes it takes upto 1 or 1:30 p.m. to get it reflected.

I’m glad I was able to help you.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh