Geospatial Referencing

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with geospatial referencing. I think that Power BI has a basic latitude and longitude reference but I’ve had error messages when trying to input these to the map function. Ideally I’d like to be able to highlight a road or a piece of rail track but have no idea how to do this. I’ve heard that there is an ESRI map function available too in custom visuals?

Yes certainly check out ESRI maps. It sounds like this is what you need. The have quite extensions functionality in there custom visuals.

The standard map visual I don’t believe are going to get you what you need.

Just on the lat and longs, make sure to categorize them as so within Power BI. This can sometimes be missed and Power BI starts aggregating up the numbers while you essentially want this to be hardcoded text.

See below for what I mean

Thanks for that Sam, I know its been awhile since I’ve been back here but the problem I was having was with aggregation. I’m hoping that the ESRI to Power BI interface will give me what I need. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Right, ok thanks for the update

I’m still at a bit of a loose end with geospatials. I thought I had the right latitude and longitude references but I’m way off the map

Closer to the North Pole that NZ. There’s got to be a better way for this to work. I’m sorry but I can’t share the picture on this forum for confidentiality issues but would be happy to possibly email my visualisation to you.

Kind regards,
Daniel

I’d prefer to keep discussion on the forum.

What is the actual issue, I’m not quite sure looking back on this post?

Sorry Sam, just getting back to this post now. The longitude and latitude references that I’m getting when I plug these in to power BI seem inappropriate even though I’ve been given them from an NZ agency. There are some alternative mapping features within my organisation that I’m currently looking at.

Have you tested the latitudes and longitudes provided to you or in your dataset? It may be those lat and long provided are wrong and not powerbi itself :confused:

Hi Daniel, if as you wrote in a previous post your points are showing in the northern hemisphere it’s possible that the latitude value in your dataset is positive whereas it should be negative. For example, the lat and long of Wellington NZ is -41.28664, 174.77557. Make sure also that you’re using decimal latitude and longitude and not those in minutes,degrees and seconds (e.g 41°17’11.9"S, 174°46’32.05"E.)