Financial Reporting Template - Drillthrough

I’ve used your template to work out an income statement report for a customer. The template works brilliantly. However, the customer also wishes to use this report to drillthrough in the data to view detailed posting descriptions etc.

I’ve tried different methods but can’t get it to work. The main reason being that you can’t create a relationship between the template file and the fact table. So there’s no relation between the GL Account numbers in the template and the fact table.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could try?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @jpgroene

Welcome to the community.
Please share your report that would make it easy to understand the issue, and to provide the solution.

Hello:

I have two questions that are related to the Financial reporting. I will post here and in DAX.
I wanted to check in with you directly on a question about DAX used in the Financial Reporting in Power BI course. It’s an amazing course.

I have one observation and one question.

OBSERVATION: IN INCOME ANALYSIS MEASURES - TY v LY ACTUAL % CHANGE.

Forgive me if I’m in error, when I look at the income statement and specifically at the measure TY v PY Actual %, I noticed it wasn’t computing for the roll-ups. Total Revenues, COGS, etc. They all read “0”. So I put a variable in there to get it to calculate. I also took out the ABS at the end of the measure as increases in expenses should be a positive percent change. E.G. If expenses for Health Insurance Const. Admin went from $148 in PY to $235 in CY, then that’s a 58.8% increase. Am I correct?
Sam alludes to the possibility of source data errors. (I saw most numbers as positives when they are deductions in the data files but two cases in Cash Flow where they were negatives(payment of loans and dividends).
QUESTION : How does one go about updating these statements (Income) on an ongoing basis? Would be just append new transactions and expense information or create a folder as source scenario? Or maybe we need to start from scratch each time?

II really want to use the tools you have done such an awesome job sharing with us members.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any clarification you may have for me. I have attached my WIP PBIX file and the file downloaded from the Course.

Thank you very much.

My working file is called example.

Financial Reporting In Power BI.pbix (971.2 KB)

Best regards,

Bill Skelley

RE: Financial Reporting in Power BI Course

QUESTION : How does one go about updating these statements (Income) on an ongoing basis? Would be just append new transactions and expense information or create a folder as source scenario? Or maybe we need to start from scratch each time?

Thank you,

Bill S

Hi @jpgroene, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 23rd of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!