Financial Reporting - Cashflow Issue

Hey DNA Members,

I just finished watching cashflows and I run into a small issue.

Financial Reporting In Power BI.pbix (927.9 KB)

The net cash flow from investing activities is incorrect. I can’t find the issue, I reviewed all formulas and I add Cash receipts from + cash paid for separately but still, I receive -86k instead of -48k

I will appreciate your help. .

Hello @Matty,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Well there’s a minor correction in the formula for Cash Receipts From - Investing. In the given file the formula is mentioned as given below -

Cash Receipts From - Investing = 
CALCULATE( [Cash Flow Values],
        FILTER( 'Cash Flow Data',
        'Cash Flow Data'[Cash Flow Category] = "Cash receipts from" &&
        'Cash Flow Data'[Cash Flow Type] = "Investing" ) )

The sub-total of Net Cash Flow from Investing Activities gave the unexpected results because under the Cash Flow Type it’s mentioned as “Investing” rather than “Investing Activities”. Now since the formula for “Cash Paid For - Investing” was written correct the sub-total only gave the result for the payments side. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

You can use the formula provided below and can have the correct results as provided in the given screenshot -

Cash Reciepts From - Investing = 
CALCULATE( [Cash Flow Values],
        FILTER( 'Cash Flow Data',
        'Cash Flow Data'[Cash Flow Category] = "Cash receipts from" &&
        'Cash Flow Data'[Cash Flow Type] = "Investing Activities" ) )

I’m attaching the PBIX file of my working for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you in your analysis. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Financial Reporting In Power BI.pbix (904.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi @Matty, did the response provided by @Harsh help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get, and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Hi @Harsh

Thank you for your help.

I didnt even notice when I read formula everything seems correct well I would when using DAX the user needs to understand full raw data :slight_smile:

@EnterpriseDNA All good :slight_smile: Thank you.

Hi @Harsh

Can I find a session on Enterprise DNA for Aging Trial Balanace, but slightly different to Aging in Financial Reporting.

For example you have a following scenario:

Invoice Date 01/05/2020

Due Date 25/05/2020

Payment Date 02/06/2020

So if the payment is greater that due date and I should use the payment date otherwise due date ?

Just thinking now to resolve above I would have to create 3rd inactive reliationship and then just use IF statements?

HI @Matty

Are you looking for this video on trial balance?

Regards,
Hemant

Hi @Hemantsingh

Yes and No, I do understand the concept with a due date, but in real life scenario, the invoice might pass after due date but still, you need to show on Aging Trial Balance if the invoice is not paid yet.

Tomorrow I will try to create a sample data to show you exactly what I mean by.

Hello @Matty,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad I was able to help you.

Now, as far as I remember on our education portal this is the only type of video available on “Aging Trial Balance” but you can certainly follow this video and modify the formula as per the scenario at hand.

So as you said if Payment Date is greater than Due Date then it should be Payment Date otherwise Due Date.

Well, yes definitely you’ll be required to create 3rd inactive relationship and then you can try out the formula something like this as given below -

Measure = 
IF( [Payment Date] > [Due Date] , 
	DATEDIFF( [Selected Date] , [Payment Date] , DAY ) , 
	DATEDIFF( [Selected Date] , [Due Date] , Day ) )

Or else if there are multiple conditions then in that case rather than using “IF” function you can certainly apply the "SWITCH( TRUE() )" logic.

Hoping you find this useful and helps you in your analysis. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Great stuff @Harsh this is what I thought :slight_smile:

While doing Finance reporting course I just thought about real life scenario and then about the solution :slight_smile:

Have a great Day!

1 Like