Filtering Table with multiple date fields

I have a table of trouble tickets that I’m displaying. A trouble ticket has many different dates associated with it, such as Date Created, Troubleshooting Started, Issue Resolved, Date Closed, etc. I’m looking to give the end user the ability to filter a table displayed on a page based off the date type chosen. A user may want to see

1. TTs that were closed in February which may include some that were created in January
  2. What TTs were “Issue Resolved” in February.
  3. Or as simple as displaying the TTs that were created in February

Trouble Ticket.pbix (352.2 KB)

What I am hoping for is an additional slicer on my page where the user can choose which date field they want to see. (I’ve included what I was thinking in my attached file). And the ultimate would be to add cards that would calculate counts of the TT’s based off the Date selected but I have to overcome this first issue before I can start with the metrics.

I’ve gone through as many videos that I can find that use TREATAS or USERELATIONSHIP but that is for calculating values. I need to display data properly based off the date type chosen then I can do my calculations.

Is this even possible in Power BI without having to duplicate data and enlarging my data model by as many fields I’m wanting to filter? Hopefully its simple and I just missed a video on how to do it.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

1 Like

Hi John,

this article might help you along the way.

How To Work With Multiple Dates In Power BI | Enterprise DNA

If you are wanting to use multiple filters then you may need to create a date table for each date column you have.

DJ

I’ve read through that article before and its very useful for calculating values and filtering those values by inactive date relationships, but it doesn’t show how you can just display data based off different dates. Or at least I’m still not seeing how I can do it using a measure.

I’ve seen the technique with creating a date table for each column you want filtered but the only way that I could get that to work is to have a slicer for every date I want filtered.

I want the ability to choose what date field the table is filtered by. But once that choice is made then I will create a measure to count the rows within that context.

Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

You could create bookmarks & buttons which will display the selected date filter and then hide the others so you would only have one date slicer on show at a time?

1 Like

We hope the responses above helped you @Durnin

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further?

If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hello @Durnin it’s been a while since we got a response from you. In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.