Extracting comments for Excel cells

Is there a way to extract comments from Excel cells (even if the comments are hidden or not) and use them in a power bi visual? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Like

Hey Rob,

Hope you are doing well!
You have to try VBA
Explore the below article
How to Extract Comments in Excel (3 Suitable Examples) (exceldemy.com)

Kind regards,
Pankaj

Hello @robertdseals

Did the responses above help solve your query?

If not, can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need?

If it did, please mark the answer as the SOLUTION by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then tick the check box beside SOLUTION

Thank you

Thank you, I found a way to do it in Excel:
You can use a simple [user defined formula (UDF)]to do just that. Here is a one line formula that I wrote.

Function getComment(incell) As String' aceepts a cell as input and returns its comments (if any) back as a stringOn Error Resume NextgetComment = incell.Comment.TextEnd Function

However, I was wondering if I could do it from Power BI without having to manipulate the Excel file.
Thanks for the input!

Hi @robertdseals - As per my knowledge and findings it is not possible inside Power BI.

Thanks
Ankit J

Hello @robertdseals

Did the responses above help solve your query?

If not, can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need?

If it did, please mark the answer as the SOLUTION by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then tick the check box beside SOLUTION

Thank you

Hi @robertdseals,

The post is now open you can now reply to this post.

Hi @robertdseals,

I would like to check if you still need further assistance on this inquiry.

can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need?

if further help is no longer required, please mark the answer as the SOLUTION by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then tick the check box beside SOLUTION

Hi @robertdseals

Due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”.

If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Yes this is quite possible, however it is necessary to treat the Excel file (.xlsx ) as a zip file container (that it is) in order to access the Comment text stored within XML. Reply if this is something you would like more information on.