Empty field parameters

Hi all,

I am really excited about the relatively new feature of field parameters.

In my case, I would like to use it to give optional columns to the end users in my matrix. By adding measures in the field parameter, they can control how many columns are visible.
At first, when you add the slicer to your page and nothing is selected; it shows no columns. This is what I would expect.
After that, you can select one or multiple measures and the columns are added in the table. However, when you de-select everything (thus, nothing selected), all your measures i.e. columns are visible. This make sense in some way, becasue the slicer recognizes this as ‘All’ instead of ‘none’.
I would like to have the option to show none of the measures / field paramters in the table.

Does anyone know how to produce this behavior?

I have tried things like blank measures, but it doesn’t work.

Kind regards,
Pim Meesters

@DashboardingMeesters ,

Give this a go – I think you will get you what you’re looking for:

Then throw this measure into a visual level filter and set it to show values when the measure = 1

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

@BrianJ

Thanks for helping out. But I think it does not work. All the rows dissapear.
field parameter issue.pbix (38.1 KB)

I have attached a very simplified PBIX file and implemented two ways of how I interpretted your provided solution.

Is this what you meant and does it indeed not work? Or am i something missing?

In the mean time I have come up with my own solution as well. I still used the blank measure and subsequently formatted the text header of this column to be the same as the background. Additionally, made the column very small and turned of the auto-size column option. In this way, no one will really notice.

Anyway, I like your approach and creativity as well. So maybe you could provide more explanation or just adjust it in the attached file (?).

I really appreciate your time!

@DashboardingMeesters ,

As always, your questions/problems are intriguing. I played around with this one for a bit and think I have it working to your requirements. I’ve built everything out conditionally based on testing whether the Parameter table is filtered or not.

I think you’ll find one aspect of this a fun blast from our past collaboration…

• Brian

2022-07-28_13-35-09

eDNA Forum - field parameter issue solution.pbix (40.2 KB)

1 Like

@BrianJ

HAHA! This is amazing. I am laughing :joy:

The man, the legend, with the transparency tricks again.

(For the one who are thinking; where are they talking about: we did a collab on the eDNA visualization summit a few weeks ago)

One small error in your file. I think you forgot to remove the conditional formatting of the total qty column. When you click it, the column is visible but the values not. You can spot the error yourself I think. See attached file without the ‘error’.

eDNA Forum - field parameter issue solution improved.pbix (39.4 KB)

I think we did it again Brian. We both created a solution that works fine and reaches the same end goal.
I will let others decide which one they would like to use. I think for simplicity (and a bit of stuborness, of course) I will use my own approach.

I like your approach and I will mark it as a solution. Other people can choose their way when they reach this thread.

Thanks for your time and the fun!

2 Likes

Pim,

Ha! We make a great team. Good catch on the qty conditional formatting artifact.

I actually attached the wrong version of the file, since you’ll see in the gif above that quantity does work. Will correct that in my post above for completeness.

This was fun. I’m still learning all the cool tricks that can be done with field params, so this was reallly helpful to me as well.

Until next time…

– Brian