Dynamic X-axis on Time Intelligence Area Chart

Hello.
I am creating a budget dashboard, but one of the requirements is to be able to flip through Monthly, Quarterly and Annual numbers/visualization.

I am having difficulty visualizing this on a time line, because the x-axis is fixed to month & year (the base periodicity of the underlying data).
When I switch to quarter and annual version, there are 3 bar (column chart) for each quarter, and 12 bars for each year.
Ideally I would like the chart to dynamically change the x-axis to quarter & year, and year, so there is respective number of bars on the charts.

Is this a possibility? Based on my google search, the only option I saw was to create multiple version of the values and using slicers to show/hide the columns.

Kindly let me know if there is more clean and straight forward way to achieve this.

Thank you for all your help!

@jh890,

Have you checked these out yet? I think they’re both clever ways to implement what you’re trying to do:

• Brian

Hi @jh890, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since 22nd of February. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Hey Thanks for your answer.
This is not quite I am looking for. I did see these videos, but using the slicer to specifying the dataset does not actually meet the requirement because the unit of periodicity is still in single unit, and unable to adopt based on selection.

There is a lot of budgeting techniques showcased within Enterprise DNA Online.

Just checking that you have gone through these?

The key for any budgeting is to create a budgeting allocation algorithm. This is an as difficult as it sounds, if you can understand the fundamental technique in making this happen.

This is discussed here

You should always be able to have a dynamic date if you are actually using the date table as the axis in your visual.

My feeling is your maybe not doing this.

Definitely check out this particular miniseries module, as it covers nearly every budgeting technique you could ever imagine when using Power BI.

Thanks
Sam

1 Like

Hi @jh890, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 24th of February. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!