Dynamic X Axis on Chart?

Hi All,

Been a while since i’ve been here, but i’m a little bit stuck and need a fresh perspective.

I’m creating a report where the user can select a time period and i want a chart to group people into categories of hours worked, theres 1000’s of people. ie, Low, Medium & High. Obviously you cannot precalculate this as you do not know the exact time period the user will select, it might be 1 week or 6 months.

I can easily calculate the median and work out the category each person should be in as a measure, but not sure how to get this into a chart. I feel like i’m missing something super obvious.

I’ve googled Dynamic X Axis and Power BI is not capable of that as yet, is there a visual that can?

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @benaud,

Maybe Dynamic Grouping via Support Table is what are you looking for ?

Example and instruction for that you can check at:

Good luck

2 Likes

@mspanic, thanks, i watched the video, this might get the job done with a bit of fiddling around… I’ll post a solution if i get there.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Check out the new Field Parameter capability that is in preview in the May Power BI release.

1 Like

Here’s a couple of links for you.

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Fields parameters in Power BI - SQLBI

Thanks, I’m using analysis services so thats no use to me. I ended up pre-calculating a std devision score in the database, and only allowing the user to pick 1 month period, i did get the chart to work in the above example, but it didn’t look that good imo, instead of the XAxis i dropped the Pricing Group into the legend and the chart sucks a bit… too narrow etc.

What i ended up with was below.

2 Likes

No problem, hopefully someone else can provide some useful input. Best of luck.

Hi @benaud! We noticed that your inquiry was left unsolved for quite some time now.

Looks like your inquiry was out of the experts and users’ bounds.

We strive to answer ALL inquiries in the forum. However, if you are sure that you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, you can check out tutorials to learn this yourself as your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done. Thank you!