DAX Workout 016 - Identify the Key Customers

You have been provided with a dataset that contains information about customers and their revenue from purchasing products. Your goal is to identify the key customers who contributed to 80% of the revenue but accounted for only 20% of the business.

When we talk about “20% of the business,” we’re referring to a proportion or portion of the overall business. It represents a specific fraction of the total business activity or value.

Imagine a hypothetical business, let’s say it’s a retail store. The business can have different aspects or components, such as customers, revenue, products, or any other relevant measure. In this case, when we say “20% of the business,” we’re looking at a specific part of the business that is responsible for a certain percentage of its overall activity or value.

You should provide a visual or a table showing the list of customers who meet the criteria mentioned above.

Good luck with the challenge!

Submission

Load the supplied data file into a new Power BI file, create your solution, and reply to this post. Upload a screenshot of your solution along with the DAX measure. Please format your DAX code and blur it or place it in a hidden section. You can do this by clicking on the “gear” icon above.

Period
This workout will be released on Thursday, May 11, 2023, and will end on Sunday, May 14, 2023. But you can always come back to any of the workouts and solve them.

DAX _16 Top 20 Percent.pbix (532.2 KB)

1 Like

@Paul.Gerber,

Are you looking for something like this (I’m using profits rather than sales) where I’ve sorted customers in Greece & Feb-2021by largest profits and highlighted those contributing to 80% of the profits:

or are you after something more sophisticated to test the condition that the number of customers with cumulative profits less than or equal to 80% equals 20% of the selected country’s customers for that year-month vs. a higher/lower percentage of customers? like here, where 3/6=50% of the customers accounted for 80% of the profits.

2 Likes

@HufferD that’s spot on! You did great. First one to respond too! And it could be profits or sales.

It seems like these three customers contributed 79.6% of the profit. Should the next customer also be included in order to reach 80%?

Table

the DAX:

1 Like

Enjoyed the workout. here is my submission

1 Like

@Paul.Gerber - Are you going to post a solution to any of the workouts? I know some of the other authors are giving a week or so and then posting the PBIX.

Just curious. Thanks Matt

2 Likes

@mbraun Yes I have just fallen behind. I have some of the earlier ones with solutions.

Thanks

1 Like