Date and Time - Tickets not adding up

I have a simple table with a Date and Time. I also have a calendar added so that i can easily filter by fiscal dates.

My goal is to add a filter so that i can count the number of tickets created per month, then add another visual so that i can show the number of tickets throughout the day.

My Process----
I took my date/time filed and added tow new columns (date only) and (time only). Then i connected my date calendar to the (date only) column thinking that this would allow me to sum up the number of tickets by the month. But for some reason that I can’t figure out, it won’t summarize the data.

On a second note, for my time. I want to remove seconds and only show it as hours/minutes. So that way i can create buckets to show every 30 minute interval.

Attached is my PBX and Excel File
Date and Time Data.xlsx (161.8 KB)
Date and Time Support.pbix (163.5 KB)

Hi @chad.sharpe,

Few remarks about the model.

• Your Date table wasn’t marked as a date table
  • Your relationship in the fact table was on the [Created Date] field (which is a type date and time) not on the [Created Date - Date Only] field which is a date type field. That’s why no Month & Year values showed once corrected this is the result…
  • the [Created Date - Time Only] needs to be set to a time datatype
  • add a Time dimension table to your model
  • Lowering the granularity of the Time column by removing seconds, you can achieve as follows: Time.From( Time.ToText( [Time], “hh:mm”))

In the M code showcase category you can find code for a Time dimension table.

for example

Here’s your sample:
Date and Time Support.pbix (199.9 KB)

I hope this is helpful

2 Likes

Oh my…
I’ve been doing PowerBi for over 2 years and I have
never assigned my Date Table as a “Date Table” in PowerBi.
I didn’t realize that was a thing, i just referred to them
as date tables because they held date information… lol…
By assigning the table as a “Date Table”… what does that actually do?

Thanks for pointing out my relationship error… that would
explain my first issue.

I will spend some time to learn how to use the time table. This one is new to me.

1 Like

Read more here

And a Time table is just another dimension like: Date, Customer, Product and so on.

2 Likes

Excellent…

1 Like