Dataflow not refreshing due to change in the server

Hi,
I have a dataflow that was refreshing fine. But there was a server change and so, I added the new server to the gateway(the dataflow was not parameterized,not sure if we can do that for dataflows). But I am unable to remove the old server/datasource details. And now, since the old server cannot be removed, the dataflow isn’t getting refreshed. It shows the datasources are not reachable. How do I go about removing the old server/datasource details so that it refreshes?

Thank you

Hi,

can you tell me more about your scenario with some screen shot may be i can help you in this.

Thanks,
Anurag

Hi @Vsb79,

Parameters are available for dataflows, you might have to enable “always allow” on the View tab.
Introduction of Query Parameters (Dataflow)

Once you’ve set up your datasource parameter and reference that in a query - you’ll be prompted to set connection settings (at least I was) hopefully that resolves it for you.

Also wanted to include these links for future reference.
Query Parameters use cases (illustrated but not limited to Desktop)

Quickly change all data source references in Power Query (only applies to PBIX files in Desktop)

I hope this is helpful

I am not sure if the above image helps.
I see that the Gateway is upto date.
Now, when I see what the error is it says Error: We couldn’t convert to Number.
What could be the error, I am not sure.
When I searched for posts in microsoft community, I saw someone posting similar issue and the only way to get rid of this is to export the .json and import again. It does import fine, but it gives the same error.“We couldn’t convert to Number”
I went through the Applied steps and it didnt give any errors. Now I am not sure what to do.

Thank you again for your inputs.

Hi,

Have you check the data type of the column also and verify that all data comes as number in your power bi desktop .
pls do this once i am pretty sure after doing this you will able to solve that .

note: By seeing the issue it on data side pls check you data once

Thanks,
Anurag

1 Like

Hello @Vsb79 , we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since October 8.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Ok, I will have to check that. Thank you for that suggestion. But if the error does not mention which column it is, does one have to check each and every column for the data type errors?

Hi ,

Pls check the error it should conations the column name also .

Thanks,
Anurag

Error just shows “There was a problem refreshing your data flow” and the details say
Your “Dataflow” dataflow couldn’t be refreshed because there was a problem with one or more entities, or because dataflow capabilities were unavailable.
And when I go to the setting page of the dataflow in service, the error shows as " We couldn’t convert to number"
So, I am not sure if this is showing this error because the other datasource could not be removed or if there is an error in the data in one of the columns.
I see the same error " We couldn’t convert to number" when I export the json and import it to different workspace.

Hi,

Have you applied the dataflow steps in your power bi desktop .
it will be easier for you to find the error there .

Thanks,
Anurag

I will be doing that today. Thank you for the tips @Anurag . Will update on how it goes.

Good to see that you are having progress with your inquiry @Vsb79

Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hello @Vsb79, a gentle follow up if you were able to solve your inquiry using the suggestion posted above?

Hi @Vsb79, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since October 12.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Thank you for the follow up. The dataflow that is there is the one where query folding doesn’t happen so the applied steps are taking too long to run in service as well as in desktop. Trying it out with a small set of data and alongside trying to implement all the applied steps in sql.

1 Like

I have checked the data for the day it failed to refresh. And there was some bad data and we are fixing it. Thank you Anurag.

Hi,

Glad i am able to help mark it resolved then.

Thanks,
Anurag