DataFlow - adding a new column

I have an excel file that drops into Sharepoint each week. I am creating a DataFlow to go to the sharepint site and grab the data.

The issue I have is that down the road I may want to add another column or two to the dataflow. The new columns will be added to the end of the excel so it won’t affect the current dataflow.

I can’t figure out how I update the dataflow to now expand out one more column to take in the new data? Any suggestions or videos on this? I can’t seem to find much on Dataflows.

Additional context. The dataflow seems to be locked in on the existing columns I used to create the dataflow. Any new column added to the far right of the preexisting columns seems to get removed and I don’t know how to expand the dataflow to allow the new columns in?

Hi Chad,

Is the Excel file in .csv format? If yes, watch this video.
Power Bi does not detect newly added columns to connected csv - YouTube

If no, it should pick up the new columns added to an existing Excel table or range. Check if you are using “Remove Columns” step somewhere in your Dataflow.

That works when connecting directly to the file.
In my case there is a new file dropped each week so i go into the “folder” and select the most recent file in the folder. I’m not connecting directly to the file.

The M code when you do it this way is different. As you can see from the image, I don’t have the option to increase columns in my Advanced Editor.

Wait… I figured it out… Thanks to you…

So if i go into the “Helper quires” i see that’s where the file transformation is taking place and that’s where I can change the number of columns needed…

Thanks…

1 Like