Data Modelling Workout 02 - Dates Table

Difficulty Rating: 2 out of 5

Data Modelling Workout 02 - Dates Table

Every Power BI file should have a dedicated and marked [Dates] table.

Goals
• create a dedicated [Dates] table

Tasks
Produce a Power BI file that:
• creates a [Sales] fact table from the sales data provided
• creates a [Dates] table with the following characteristics:
- uses a function created from the Enterprise DNA Extended Date Table code (both link and code provided)
- uses parameters to determine the earliest and latest order dates in the sales data
- uses parameters to determine the final date range (full years covering the earliest and latest order dates in the sales data)
- (the end date should be 1 year later to allow for forecasts)
• creates a [Key Measures] table to house the DAX measures created from the DAX data provided
• links the [Dates] and [Sales] tables into a star schema data model
• includes slicers, a table, a matrix, and cards to showcase the [Dates] table “in action” (i.e., while making slicer selections)

Notes
• use only the DAX code provided; do not modify nor create additional measures or calculated columns
• (data source: a 10,000 row subset of the Microsoft [ContosoRetailDW] sample database)

Submission
Using the only the sales data, dates table M code, and DAX files provided, create your solution, and reply to this post. Upload the following:

• a screenshot of the queries pane of the [Power Query Editor] with all groups expanded
  • a screenshot of the star schema data model as displayed in the [Model View]
  • an animated GIF of your Power BI file “in action” (i.e., while making slicer selections)
  • your PBIX file

Please blur your screenshots and GIFs or place them in a hidden section.

Period
This workout will be released on Monday April 17, 2023, and the author’s solution will be posted on Sunday April 23, 2023.

Greg
Data Modelling Workout 02 - Data - Contoso Flat File.xlsx (595.4 KB)
Data Modelling Workout 02 - DAX Measures.txt (2.2 KB)
Data Modelling Workout 02 - Dates Table.txt (21.4 KB)

2 Likes

What is the logic behind adding “+0” to the end of the DAX measures in the attached file?

David.

quick-and-dirty way to ensure that the measure returns a number even if calculations are blank …

3 Likes

Here’s the notes I kept during the development of my solution to this workout.

Pre-Modelling Activities - General/Options:

• create new, empty PBIX
  • use File\Options\Options and settings\Global\Data Load\Time intelligence to ensure Auto Date/time for new files is disabled
  • use File\Options\Options and settings\Current File\Data Load\Time intelligence to ensure Auto Date/time is disabled
  • use File\Options\Options and settings\Current File\Data Load\Relationships to ensure Autodetect new relationships after data is loaded is disabled
  • use File\Options\Options and settings\Current File\Data Load\Relationships to ensure Import relationships from data sources on first load is disabled
  • use [Enter data] to create an empty [Key Measures] table; create a placeholder measure (say, m1 = 1); right-click on [Column1] and select [Hide]

Pre-Modelling Activities - Dates Table:

• copy the M code for latest version of Extended Date Table from Enterprise DNA (from Extended Date Table (Power Query M function))
  • use Query Editor in Power BI Desktop to do the following:
  • create a new blank query, paste the M code (as copied above), rename the blank query to [fxDatesQuery]
  • move [fxDatesQuery] into a new group [Functions]
  • create a new blank query for a parameter to hold the earliest fact table data date (use placeholder date of, say, 2020-01-01); rename the blank query to [pStartDataDate]
  • create a new blank query for a parameter to hold the latest fact table data date (use placeholder date of, say, 2020-12-31); rename the blank query to [pEndDataDate]
  • create a new blank query for a parameter to hold January 1st of the year of the earliest fact table data date; rename the blank query to [pStartDate]
  • create a new blank query for a parameter to hold December 31st of the year of the latest fact table data date (add 1 year to ensure DAX code that uses time intelligence functions operates properly); rename the blank query to [pEndDate]
  • move the [pStartDataDate], [pEndDataDate], [pStartDate], and [pEndDate] parameters into a new group [Parameters]
  • modify the code of the [fxDatesQuery] function to use the [pStartDate] and [pEndDate] parameters

Pre-Modelling Activities - Data Loading:

• load raw sales data from [Sales] tab of the Data Excel file; rename query to [RAW Sales]; deselect “Enable Load”; move into a new group [Staging Queries]
  • create reference of [RAW Sales]; rename as [Sales]; move into a new group [Data Model]
  • modify the placeholder dates in the [pStartDate] and [pEndDate] parameters to use the earliest and latest [Order Date] of the [Sales] table
  • use the [fxDatesQuery] function to create a new table; rename the resultant table to [Dates];
  • move the [Dates] table into the [Data Model] group
  • mark [Dates] table as a date table

Modelling Activities - Model View:

• delete any relationships that may already exist (i.e., were automatically created by Power BI)
  • rearrange tables into waterfall layout, so that dimension (lookup) tables are in the top row, fact tables are in the bottom row, and measure tables are in columns at the right (so [Dates] on top, [Sales] below, and [Key Measures] at right)
  • use [Manage Relationships] to add (1-to many) relationships for:
    • Dates[Date] → Sales[Order Date]

Post-Modelling Activities - Measures:

• create a new measure in the [Key Measures] table for each entry in the DAX Measures text file

Post-Modelling Activities - Visualizations:

• create slicers for Sales[Country], Sales[Colour] and Dates[Date] columns
  • create a table for the Dates[Year] column and the [Current Year Sales] and [Previous Year Sales] measures
  • create a matrix with the Dates[Year] and Dates[Quarter] columns on rows and the [Current Quarter Sales] and [Previous Quarter Sales] measures on values
  • create a multi-row card for dynamic measures
  • create a multi-row card for static measures

Congratulations to all who participated, and good luck.
Greg
Data Modelling Workout 02 - Dates Table.pbix (288.0 KB)

Thanks @Greg for the detailed solution. I’ve been using M code to load the Date table for a while but this is the first time I know about using parameters to determine the date range. I’ve learned a lot and look forward to another next workout.

Hi @Greg
In case we have more than one Fact table, which means we have more than one Date column, what would you do?

Hi @collier.brittany. No problem. Just do the same thing many times; create a 1-to-many relationship between the [Dates] table and the fact table. WRT the setting of the parameters (as presented in this workout), you’d then need to adjust [pStartDataDate] and [pEndDataDate] to cover all fact tables in your model.

Hope it helps.
Greg

Please find listed below my submission as an infographic

Hello Everyone!
Hope all are doing well.
Here is my submission for workout -002.

Data Modelling Workout 02 - Dates Table PN.pbix (342.1 KB)
@Greg parameter for first and last date will be really helpful to set auto selection.

Thanks

Hi @Greg ,

Can you please elaborate on
" * modify the code of the [fxDatesQuery] function to use the [pStartDate] and [pEndDate] parameters"
I am not getting how to use these 2 parameters in the fxDAtesQuery .

Thanks.!

Hi @rishug2811. Typo in the notes, but correct in the code. The notes should have read:

modify the code of the [Dates] table to use the [pStartDate] and [pEndDate] parameters

Greg

1 Like

It worked, Thanks @Greg .

Just one more doubt, for current year and quarter sales, why can’t we simply use [Total Sales] as it’s giving same results?

Hi @rishug2811. Absolutely you can … as this workout was in reference to the dates table, in trying to keep everything else as similar as possible I used the same pattern for the current and previous DAX measures. Greg

1 Like

Created my calendar table via dax using FirstDate and LastDate to achieve similar results.