Data modelling for Microsoft forms

Hi all,

I am working on a assignment in which I need to visualize the results of microsoft forms. In a case of forms i.e. questions (with both numeric and textual possible answers) , would you unpivot all your columns which contains a question? Of keep every question in a seperate column?

See an example in the attached excel file: Sheet one contains the “normal” table, in which microsoft Forms delivers the data. Sheet two contains the unpivotted version of this.

At first glance I would unpivot columns, since a fact table with multiple columns doesn’t feel right.
Anyone who would like to share their thought on this one?

Thanks in advance
DataModellingQuestion Edna.xlsx (20.1 KB)

You can directly connect to the MS Forms responses from Power BI.

You can keep the unpivoted table if you are not going to use your Questions (Column headers) as a category anywhere. Also, you can create Measures for Count / Average etc from each of the columns. You can use these measures in your visualizations. I don’t think this is a case of fact table or dimension table as this is a flat table format. Also, the values are a mixture of categorical, continuous and discrete variables. It would not make sense to unpivot the table and combine all these different values of different data types into a single column.

Hi @DashboardingMeesters, did the response provided by @pranamg help in solving your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Hi @DashboardingMeesters, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since a few days ago.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post?

In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @pranamg ,

thanks for your answer and it definitely helps. However, I am still working on this assignment and trying to find my own way for solving all this. In the mean time I will mark your answer as a solution and if I end up doing completely different I will let it know in this thread :slight_smile: