Data Model Structure Question #2

Hello,
We are integrating Power BI with Deltek Vantagepoint. My question is regarding the data model and using multiple instances of the same query, versus, using new queries. FYI, I have not been about to use multiple instances of the same query as in SQL. The following slides will document issue.

Fact Table: PR Projects Master - FACT

Normally, in SQL, I would have added multiple instances of the same table/query. In Power BI, it would not let me do that. The “work-around” I came up with was to replicate the query multiple time and change a few field names.

Question: Is this the best process?

Hi @tmloving. No, load once as a staging table, uncheck “Enable Load”, then reference as many times as necessary, and alter the column names/transformations in each reference as desired.
Greg

2 Likes

Hi @tmloving, did the response provided by @Greg help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @tmloving, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 4th of May. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @tmloving, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!