Data model elaboration recommendations

Hello everyone,

I want to carry out Power BI to make data analysis more advanced, use data visualization tools of Power BI and have active reports to present to my colleagues and managers.

Data come from SAP and they are processed in a BI software. From it, I extract them in .xlsx format and I use Excel to analyse data but I would like to carry out analysis with Power BI.

Because of relevance of Data model in Power BI, I ask you to tell me some practical recommendations about the building of files, which will be the Data Model, in order to make right extractions for the purpose.

Thanks,
Matteo

@Matteo-Italy ,

It’s a broad question, but the absolute first place I would start would be with this course:

and then move on to EDNA Expert @Greg 's wonderful series on Power BI best practices. These parts of his five part series address data prep/data shaping/data modeling, and I think will put you on an excellent path for what I think is the most important aspect of Power BI. If you get your data well modeled according to best practices, most DAX becomes relatively simple, while if you get the modeling wrong, all the DAX expertise in the world isn’t going to save you.

I hope this is helpful.

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi @Matteo-Italy, did the response provided by @BrianJ help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @Matteo-Italy, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 18th of June. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @Matteo-Italy, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Hi,

I thank @BrianJ for the response.
It’s very useful.

Matteo