Data from Financial Reporting for Power BI course

Hi, I am not sure where to post this but I was looking to try doing the Financial Report Showcase - Build. I believe that this probably should go to someone who works with courses - in particular the Financial Reporting for Power BI.

Since I was supposed to get my own data I was going to use Financial Reporting for Power BI course. After review my copy of this report from the course, I noticed that the Balance Sheet numbers were not correct - the Total Assets equals $35.9M and the Total Liabilities and Equity equals $27.2M for each of the 4 years. There is about $9M difference each year and this would make either the Income Statement or Cash Flow Statements incomplete and not give a full picture of what is going on with this company.

When I worked on this Financial Reporting for Power BI, I found the course quite helpful in building out the income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statements along with financial details, aged trial and revenue insights.

I am an accountant trying to learn Power BI on side and one of the basic accounting rules is that Assets = Liabilities + Equity. Since this data is not correct, I did not want to attempt this build without good data because I would like to show case this report for potential work in the future and most financial leaders would notice that Assets does not equal Liabilities and Equity which show that I may not know accounting very well.

I am still looking for some data to attempt this build. The purpose of this post is mainly to let Enterprise DNA course team aware of this $9M discrepancy in the Balance Sheet and possibly update or change the data so that Assets = Liabilities + Equity.

David

1 Like

Hi @DavidHalliday - Your analysis is correct. There is a discrepancy with Assets and Liabilities. This has been informed to EDNA team also.

Request you to close this Topic and Mark as Solution.

Thanks
Ankit J