Cross Filtering to Limit Slicer Entries

Hi

I have a vexing problem related to report that I’m knocking together for a client. I’ve tried to get my head around it for a day or two, clearly without any success, hence my post. In addition, I’m not certain that what I’m trying to accomplish can actually be done.

In this report I have a Donut Chart which displays “NetSalesValue” by Area. I want to be able to click on an “Area” in the Chart which would restrict / limit the entries for a “Customer” Slicer. In other words, if I click on the Area “East” in the Donut Chart, the “Customer” slicer should only display the Customers that reside in the “East” Area.

I’ve cobbled together a very simple PBIX which I hope will demonstrate what I’m trying accomplish.

Thanks in advance - Grant
Slicer.pbix (33.0 KB)

HI ,

I do not think that possible or even logical if you think that when you select something in visual just click on them and filters changes because when you are going to click on that filter that previous selection become inactive and it came to its original state

You can put other filter of Area then other filter related to them will show the filter option only.

Hoping i am clear to you.

Thanks,
Anurag

@GrantR ,

Check out the following article which provides a methodology for cross-filtering slicers (in your case, the donut chart is serving as the second slicer) using measures. Note: if you provide your email address at the bottom of the article, you can download a PBIX based on the article that I think you’ll find quite helpful.

• Brian
1 Like

Thanks for your responses Anurag / Brian

@BrianJ I had actually read and attempted to reverse engineer this methodology to fit my scenario prior to my initial posting. Had another bash after reading your response. Unfortunately without success in both cases :anguished: . I might be misinterpreting how to apply it for the solution I need - would have been elegant if I had been able to.

I’m now of the opinion that I might be over complicating things somewhat and should try another approach.

Grateful to the both of your assistance

Kind Regards - Grant

Hi @GrantR

Slicers affecting from another slicers and Filter pane only not from Visual.

SQLBI article - Both are slicers, because of the relationship Customer slicer won’t affect Color slicer.
Without enabling bidirectional we can filter Color slicer using filter pane(as explained in the article).

***Change the Customer slicer to visual(Table or Chart). It wont affect color slicer

@GrantR ,

I was working on this at the same time as @Rajesh and came to the same conclusion he did. You can get the effect you want if you change the donut chart to a slicer or the customer slicer to a table (two slicers cross filtering each other or two visuals, but not one visual and one slicer.

I actually tried to force the latter using the measure below in the visual level filter pane of the slicer, and it still didn’t work.

Selected Values = 
VAR SelAreas =
VALUES( Customers[Area] )

VAR Vtable =
FILTER(
    ALL(Customers ),
     Customers[Area] IN SelAreas
)

VAR InTable =
IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE( Customers[Name] ) IN SELECTCOLUMNS( Vtable, "@Name", [Name] ),
)

VAR AreaList = 
CONCATENATEX( SelAreas, Customers[Area], ", ", Customers[Area], ASC )

RETURN InTable

I’ve attached my test file below if you want to play with it further. I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

eDNA Forum - Slicer (1) Solution.pbix (33.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi @Rajesh / @BrianJ

Hugely appreciate the effort and your conclusions. Have arrived at the same conclusion as you both :grin: . Love this forum me.

Would be a great feature / option for Microsoft to add for slicers i.e. enable / disable cross filtering from visualizations.

Kind Regards - Grant

Hi @BrianJ ,

I think my logical interpretation work perfect here (After reading your reply I tried the same today but not able to achieve the desired functionality as asked in the question) thanks for enhancing the knowledge by sharing that SQLBI article.

Thanks,
Anurag

@Anurag ,

Yes, looking back I think you nailed it off the bat. Good learning experience for me as well, since I really thought that this could be forced in at least one direction via DAX in the filter pane.

• Brian
1 Like

It’s great to know that you are making progress with your query @GrantR.

Please don’t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ‘solved’.

We request you to kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, We hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!