Creating Data Description/Dictionary Feature for Power BI Users

Main Topic
What are the best practices and design tips for creating Data description or dictionary pages for Power BI users?

Topic Description
For each page of my report, I would like to have a help button navigation to a report page that lists out different measures used in that page and provide a user-friendly definition so the user understands what the measure is they are looking at and to understand how the calculation is performed.

Example of current method

In this example I have measures that hold text definitions for each measure that is used on 1 particular report page. I am using the (new) card visual to present this information.

Request for Help
I would appreciate any insight on methods for displaying information to users regarding the report pages they are viewing, definitions for measure calculations and columns in use, as well as any advice in regard to visualizations and setup.

Thank you in advance for any ideas and advice you may provide!

Hi,

There could be different ways. depending on the use case and amount of information you want to document for users under the help section.

For example where the informaion will remain static, eg : dax measures and general logic applied, I usually create a button and set action to a company wiki page ( external to the powerbi report) that has detailed documentation. this is particularly helpful here there is a lots of information that i want to share with user and is difficult to present within a single page in Power BI.

on other occasions where some informtion is required specific to visual, a tooltip can serve the purpose exactly.

What you have is good is good too. the only challenge i see is if you want to display more information, you will need to create more pages and navigation etc within your report. but if thats not the case, this is good.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that if you are producing lots of reports for same set of users, its always a good practice to be consistent with whatever method you use

1 Like