Convert an Ethiopian Calendar to Gregorian

Does any one have a way to convert an Ethiopian calendar to Gregorian calendar.

Guy

Hi @GuyJohnson,

Can’t say that I have but I did find this, a python ethiopian-date is a date converter.
I don’t have any experience with Python my self but maybe @Greg or @bradsmith can chime in…

I hope this is helpful

1 Like

You could go the python route and I’d be happy to assist, but it’s really pretty simple. Converting is actually pretty easy though if it’s a leap year, add 2,811 days to the date, otherwise add 2,810 days to the date.

3 Likes

Thanx to @Melissa and @bradsmith for their input.

I bit of background. This was raised at the Pittsburgh Power BI User Group Meetup last night. One of our members is working with areas in Africa and needs this conversion. She is working with Power BI to track Aids in the regions.

I suggested that one of our members might have a solution to use.

Thanx

Guy

Very cool! I’d simply write a formula that checks if the year of the Ethiopian date is divisible by 4 and if so add 2,811 days to the date else add 2,810 days. So if it was a calculated column it would look something like this:
GregorianDate = IF(MOD(YEAR[EthiopianDate]), 4) > 0, DATEADD([EthiopianDate], 2811, DAY), DATEADD([EthiopianDate], 2810, DAY))

1 Like

Thanx again @bradsmith

I have passed this on

Guy

@bradsmith Got this feedback from our User Group.

Divisible by 4 is not the only indicator of a leap year. The logic is as follows:
if (year is not divisible by 4) then (it is a common year)
else if (year is not divisible by 100) then (it is a leap year)
else if (year is not divisible by 400) then (it is a common year)
else (it is a leap year)

Guy

True, it’s not technically just divisible by 4, but unless the dataset goes all the way back to the year 1900 or all the way to the year 2100 then simply checking if it’s divisible by 4 will work. And since there’s no data for AIDS yet in 2100 and it wasn’t around in 1900 then there should never be any dates that meet condition 2 which make condition 3 unnecessary.

2 Likes

Never thought of that.

Will pass it on

Guy