Connection to Published Data Source - IMPORT Not an Option

This is NOT a CALENDAR Question
Steps I took:
built a Calendar Table in Excel
connected to the Excel Calendar in my report (my only dataset)
published the Calendar Data set to PowerBI Server
published a simple Calendar table to the PowerBI Service for others to connect.
Created new pbix file and linked to PowerBI Dataset “Calendar”
It will only connect as a DIRECT connection

Result is:
I cannot delete the data source, nor can I change it to Import (the dropdown for that does not show up)

Then I moved calendar to a sharepoint list repeated all same steps and still cannot delete data table from data model or change connection to import
Calendar Data Model.pbix (223.1 KB)

Hi @DMercier

Power BI data set is live connection only.

Create a data flow and connect from power bi desktop.

@Rajesh

Thank you for your quick response.

1. Is there a Reason I cannot delete the connection?
  2. I am not familiar with Dataflow, what benefit does that give me?

@DMercier

Can you please share error screen shot ?

Hi @DMercier, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 19th of March. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

@Rajesh

and here is a short video of me connection to the POWERBI dataset then to the same data stored in an online sharepoint list…

Hi @DMercier

Based on your description, you are using the new Composite Model added as part Dec 2020 release in Power BI. This allows to convert Live Connection (from Power BI Dataset) to Direct Query and also add more sources to your local Model/file.

Currently if you are having two sources one from Power BI Dataset and other from Local with same name, Power BI will automatically suffix other with (2).
Also, currently it is not possible to delete from Power BI Datasets, one can only hide the unnecessary ones. Refer to Blog for some more Information on Composite Model.

Is above answer your question, if not please share the actual requirement.

Thanks
Ankit J

Hi @DMercier, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!