Connecting to box.com platform

Dear Enterprise,

I am trying to connect to box.com but I am getting the following message error:

“We were unable to connect because this credential type isn’t supported for this resource. Please chose another credentials type.”

I would like to connect the excel file to the box, so I could check all the files that are stored on the box.com platform.

Could you please advise what could I do.

I thought I could connect to box platform similar way as you would normally do to the drive/ folder etc.

Using Power Query I would like to have visibility of what type of files are stored and the files names.

Example what I am aiming to get (local folder)

Box.com link

Any advice?

Thank you,

Matty

seems there are some issues with connecting to BOX via Power Query, the BOX support team does not appear to be interested in making this work.

Here is the most detailed post (from the BOX community site), that I was able to find. There are a couple of suggested work-arounds listed here (including one that shares your data as public, so be aware)

The PowerBI community has also been trying to figure this out, here is a post from the PBI forum:

3 Likes

@Heather Thank you! :slight_smile:

Yes, it seems like box and power query doesn’t work together :frowning:

Thank you,

Matty

happy to help, hopefully at some point there will be an improvement on that front.

1 Like

@Matty ,

I wanted to highlight another possible approach I’ve been using with great success. For sources like box.com that don’t have strong connection capabilities with Power BI, I’ve been using a data pipeline company called Dataddo.com. They have a slew of connectors they’ve already built that will flow your data directly into Power BI. For services they don’t currently have a connector for, they will build it for you custom at no additional charge, and you just pay monthly for the use of that service.

They are very service-oriented, the product is easy to use and I think it is reasonably priced. Definitely worth checking out IMO if you’re not able to get to a solution that works satisfactorily based on the information @Heather provided above.

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

2 Likes

Thank you very much @BrianJ !!

Matty