Connecting a Date Table

Hello,

I am having this issue and wonder if anyone can help me with it. I have 3 data tables. As you can see, my Calendar_Cycles table does not have a individual date column, that is why I have connected Calendar_Days table with with ‘Period ID’ column.

and this is how they are connected (Relationship)

I want to get sales per day and they are not coming out as I wanted. As you can see on the screenshot below. When I make a table with Period ID, sales data comes out accurate( Table 2), when I add the date from ‘Calendar_Days’ table, data comes as table 1.

Is anyone here could help me with this issue? Appreciate all tips, tricks and comments.

Thank you,
Nipuna

Hello @nipunadv,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Well, it’s difficult to provide the results efficiently without looking at the data. Could you please upload the working of your PBIX file so that members of our forum can assist you in a better manner?

If your file contains the sensitive data then you can hide that data. Below is the link provided for the reference where one of our expert @BrianJ had created a video about how to hide the sensitive data.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Hi @nipunadv

Could you please help to update a sample pbix file. As just seeing the model can suggest you should remove bi-directional relationship and make it 1-many so you data model should be — Date Days—- Calendar cycle —- sales Table.

@nipunadv Looks fine to me, a single PeriodID has multiple dates associated with it so when you slice data by dates you get more granular result, and when you slice by PeriodID all the related dates are grouped under 1 PeriodID hence less granular report.

You can verify this by creating a matrix and then including both periodID and Dates on row field.

Hello,
It does not let me do that. I’ve attached the pbix file.
Thank you!

Hello,
So I want to get a more granular result (by day) and it’s not coming out by day.
Thank you!

Hi @nipunadv,

Looks like no issue but can you show what output you are looking for – more granular result.

Also 1 suggestion is that you can remove the DateTime column and have only unique value in the Calendar_Days table if you are not using it or have no intension to use in future.

So I want to get sales per day but it’s showing me duplicated values.

PBIX file.

Date Issue.pbix (1.7 MB)

Hello @nipunadv,

Is this the solution that you’re looking for? Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Here are some of the simple steps that I’ve followed in order to achieve this result -

Step 1: Added a Date Table into the model which is available under the “M Code Showcase” which is created by one of our expert member @melissa.

Step 2: The “Order Date” column which you’ve in your “Sales Products” table I’d split them into 2 columns i.e. “Order Date” and “Order Time”. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Step 3: Then click on the “Close and Apply” button. And go to the “Data Model” view pane. And create a relationship between “Order Date” column and “Dates” column. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Step 4: I’ve ignored the “Calendar Days” table in my case.

Now, you just have to drag and drop the fields into the “Table” visualization. And you get the results at a daily granular level.

I’m also attaching the PBIX file of the working for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and meets your requirements that you’ve been looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Daily Sales.pbix (2.1 MB)

2 Likes

Hi @nipunadv,

In your Calendar Days table, why do you need multiple entries for the same day. this might be your issue why you getting wrong numbers. i would say you only need one for each day.

thanks
keith

Hello @nipunadv,

Also if you want to analyze more in-depth at a time level you can also do that. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Also attaching the file so that you can refer it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Daily Sales.pbix (2.1 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I had it by time and date earlier, then I removed the DateTime column.

@nipunadv

ok

Thank you so much! This worked. So it’s the Order Time column. :slight_smile:

Hello @nipunadv,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad that I was able to help you.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like