Connect to company's cloud service remotely via VPN

This is a general question about how to connect Power BI to a Cloud data source via a company from a remote location using VPN.

I have to retrieve data using the Power BI Amazon Redshift Connector but need to do so via VPN. I assume it will be necessary for me to VPN in to the company but I’m a bit unsure about how this has to be set up and how it actually works.

Hope you can provide some guidance on this.

Bumping this post for more visibility.

Hi @powerbideveloper - Will suggest to connect with your company IT teams for this. Depending on VPN, there might be different requirements to be done. Like for connecting to Azure SQL via VPN, in our organisation we require to make use of Putty.

Also, check for the Cloud source on Internet if there is anything that needs to be installed on your system like a Driver.

Thanks
Ankit J

Hi @powerbideveloper , did the response provided by @ankit help you solve your query?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further?

If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Sorry for my delayed response. We have no IT team that has knowledge of this, so it will likely be a trial and error situation.

Currently, I am trying out cloud VPN but may have to update allow-list with the new IP address when I need to refresh the data.

So, the connection will be directly to the data source and not via a company server.

Hi @powerbideveloper

In above case, I can only provide materials available Online but will still need to be explored. You will find similar articles online.

Please mark this post as Solution if no further query.

Thanks
Ankit J

Thanks for your input ankit, I appreciate it very much!

We’ve decided to try out using a cloud VPN provider who is also able to provide a static IP at our main office. So, from my remote location, I VPN in to the office. I still have to test whether this works for getting access to the data in the cloud. It is a bit of an extra jump, but I think it should work, will keep you updated.

Hi @powerbideveloper , following up if you were able to resolve your concern using the method you mentioned above?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further?

If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

Thanks, guys. This discussion gave me a few ideas to try on.