Connect Power BI to Off site Database

Hi All,

I need to allow power BI to query/retrieve data from a clients database which is hosted offsite and maintained by an external third party company. Currently they only access it via a web platform.

Recommendations on connecting it and any pitfalls would be appreciated. I was thinking that the third party would need to provide some form of VPN to the database and set it up via that but not 100% sure if this is the best way and any limitations. I have googled this but nothing seemed straight forward

Thanks as always guys…

Hi All,

Interested to know how others have got round the below issue. Thanks all

Hello Hitman,
This can be possible by installing a Power BI Gateway on a machine that has access to the Database.

You can download it from here :
Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

There are five main steps for using a gateway:

1. Download and install the gateway on a local computer.
  2. Configure the gateway based on your firewall and other network requirements.
  3. Add gateway admins who can also manage and administer other network requirements.
  4. Use the gateway to refresh an on-premises data source.
  5. Troubleshoot issues with the gateway.

Best of luck !

Hi @m.abdelkarim - Thanks for the response but maybe i did not explain well. Gateways is not the issue.

The database is off premises and would appreciate any recommendations on accessing the off premises database e.g VPN

1 Like

Hello @Hitman

I had this scenario last year, where we were looking to connect MySQL database that was on a dedicated hosting.

We worked out a solution through enabling the db server firewall to only IPs that we were using to get it accessible to us.

This allowed only limited access and no general access to db keeping it secure. We also found it less error prone and faster then using VPN.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards
Kumail Raza

3 Likes

Thanks @Kumail - Definitely food for thought…

I will leave open in case any other users had feedback.

Hi @Hitman, what @Kumail described was an identical approach to a situation we encountered last year. Our IT team spoke with the off premise database provider and obtained access to the database through the firewall and a specific IP range.

1 Like

Hi @Kumail, did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hello @EnterpriseDNA

The query is from @Hitman

I was sharing the experience that I had on the subject.

Thanks,
Kumail Raza

2 Likes

Really useful guys - Thanks

@DavieJoe @Kumail

I will leave topic open as i am receiving feedback from external db company and want to make sure it helps any other users

Cheers All

1 Like

Hi @Hitman, did the response provided by @DavieJoe and @Kumail help you solve your query?

If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Rest assured that other users will still be able to see this thread and solution even if you mark it as solved.

1 Like

Hi @Hitman, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!