Connect multiple fact-tables - Web Analytics

Currently I don’t think you can get exactly what you need.

There just isn’t any real relationship between the invoices table and the keyword table. There’s nothing that links them from what I can tell.

I think you’ll have to have a play around with a setup similar to what I have created here.

You have to think about what the filters are capable of.

They can only filter a table where they have a direct relationship.

There is nothing around keywords that can filter over the left hand side of the model

They only table that can filter them all is the date table.

If that’s the case then you need to make sure that these are like for like. As you have customer dates, keyword dates, and invoice dates. Whether these all align I’m not sure.

Chrs

Hi Sam, thanks for your comment.

Idea:
If we forget the Keywords-table and we have only the fact-tables Invoices and Customers,

Can we use the column Keyword Used and calculate the Total Amount excl. VAT for each keyword used?

Chrs

Not from what I can see unfortunately.

You can filter the customer and date over you invoice amounts and you keywords used concurrently, but based on the data you can’t filter anything around invoice calculation by keywords.

So for example you could select a customer, then a date time frame…

This would then filter any calculations in the invoice table and the customers table at the same time. So you might be able to extract some reasonable info from that.

But there is no keyword info that has any direct relation to the invoices table. So any calculation being completed in that table has no way to be filtered or sliced by any keyword info.

Hi Sam, thanks for your feedback.

I was thinking, if I had this challenge in Excel at this moment, could I solve it? The answer in Excel is yes:

As an attachment you will find the Excel-file I’ve used:
180607 Test.xlsx (12.7 KB)

Is it possible to do every step in Power BI?

Chrs

Bit to much to get my head around quickly, but if you can do this in excel then you must be able to somehow create the correct connections in your model.

Where in excel have you joined up the keywords column to the invoices column? Or how have you done this specifically?

This will be your answer in your model.

Take your time, Sam :slight_smile:

I’ve solved the challenge in Power BI, I’ve used a combination from the invoicedate and the customernumber (see the explanation in the Excel-file) in both of the tables. After merging the column Keyword Used to the Invoice table I’ve got the answers I was looking for.

Thanks for pushing me into the right direction :wink:

1 Like

Ok that’s great.

So do u know now how to build a model with many(3) facts table?