Conditional Formatting (Area Chart)

I’m going crazy with this… I’ve set up conditional formatting on my area chart. Very simply, if it’s below 0, then RED and it it’s grater than o then GREEN. The issue I have is that the conditional formatting seems to by pass the date in the area chart.

What’s happening is that if the overall variance is above o then it turns all the colors green regardless if one of the individual months are below zero. If i turn the area chart into a simply table and apply the same formatting it works perfectly. There seems to be an issue with the area chart only?

@chad.sharpe Please send PBIX

Hi @chad.sharpe, I noticed you didn’t provide a PBIX file. Providing one will help users and experts find a solution to your inquiry faster and better.

A perfect initial question includes all of the following:

• A clear explanation of the problem you are experiencing
  • A mockup of the results you want to achieve
  • Your current work-in-progress PBIX file
  • Your underlying data file (to allow us to go into Power Query if necessary to transform your data and/or data model – often DAX questions really end up being data modeling solutions)

Check out this thread on Tools and Techniques for Providing PBIX Files with Your Forum Questions

Not completing your data may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Hi Greg,
I had to take a moment to create a new test data set as my actual PBX has sensitive data. Below is PBX sample and the image it produces. My goal is to set the conditional formatting so that anything that’s a positive number appears as green and anything negative appears as red. Ideally the area portion of the graph would also change color but I don’t think thats possible? I’ve spent hours on this,…lol… the formatting seems to only apply to the total. If the total is positive or negative then all the months are green or red? I don’t know what the formatting doesn’t filter by the month?

Conditional Formatting.pbix (16.6 KB)
Forecast-Actual.xlsx (16.3 KB)

Hi,

If the below image can solve your problem because i do not see any option where we can control the color of area but we can control the color of data point as shown in the below image:

To produce above result first apply color formatting on bar chart then convert it to line chart .

Thanks

I’m testing it now, it’s not ideal as the Graph doesn’t look as sharp as it could be.

The idea is that i want to show the variance on a per month bases, any idea of what a nicer graph could
look like?

column chart?

Hello @chad.sharpe,
I do not know if this solution that I have found could be worth it:

Regards,

I guess that’s how I’ll have to go, it’s unfortunits as i really liked the area chart view

This was the first view I had, I just really like the area chart. But due to time I’ll have to switch it back to the columns.

Thanks for trying.

Hi @chad.sharpe, seems like your query is beyond the scope of our members and experts.

We strive to answer ALL inquiries in the forum. However, if you are sure that you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, you can check out tutorials to learn this yourself as your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done.

Thank you!

1 Like

Understood, the tool also has some limitations and it looks like this might be one.

Hi @chad.sharpe,
I share with you another possible solution in which two area graphs are being used and showing the positive values in the graph above and the negative values in the one below.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @chad.sharpe did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

I’m not sure I would call it a full on solution, but it’s an option for sure. I didn’t go with it because it lacked the ability to update the data labels.