Calculation groups - use on visuals

Hello,

I have calculation groups working but have a question on how to use them. Below is a simple example of a matrix with two values - Current month and Month in previous year. But how can one select only one of these? One can have a slicer to choose Current or Previous, but these work across the whole page. If one wants 2 separate visuals, one with Current and one with Previous on the same page, how can this be achieved?

I can think that one can set up a separate measure for each visual which filters for the needed measure, but this rather cancels the benefit of not having multiple measures…

With thanks
Nick

use the columns from CG in a slicer.

Hi, thanks for the very fast reply, the issue with a slicer is that it affects all the visuals. I just found the Filters pane though has per visual filtering.

Best regards
Nick

Hi @Nickj

I think you are right, you cannot have 2 visuals on the same page being filtered by the calculation group column simultaneously. Doing this will make one visual blank i guess ( This is what is anticipate,still need to check). For now i think this can be achieved by using 2 different measure for 2 different visual or having a conditional measure with one visual.

Lemme know if you get this scenario working only by using calculation group column.

Regards,
Hemant

FYI, In my earlier screenshot I did not have the filter correct for the ‘Prev only’ column.

So there is a way to restrict the Calc items in a visual - but as far as I can see only if this is a matrix. For example, it does not work in a line chart - the value box will not accept the Calculation name.

I am guessing that there are more features to come to support Calc Groups

regards
Nick

See if this article and the first comment at the bottom helps:

As Marco Russo says - it needs to be improved!

From the Format menu on your report page, select Edit Interactions at the far left. You can then select a slicer and disconnect it from any visual(s) on the page you don’t want to be filtered by it.

@pduffer Thank you, I was not aware of that feature.

regards
Nick

There are times you may need to create separate measures. Below is a splendid example of when you would need to - along with how to make a measure from an existing calculation group.

Hi @Nickj, did the response provided by the contributors help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!