Calculating Hours using List in Power Query

I have a logic that I am trying to implement using Power Query as this equally gives me an opportunity to leverage the power of M. I am grateful to the community for every help so far as I learn a lot from your contribution.

I am using Power Query to bucket hours into their respective months. I have a start date time and an end date time column from an EventLog table. When an event has ended, the closed date is formed otherwise the end date remains open if the event is still ongoing. But when reporting on this I use the current time as an end date to close the event. This is where the logic begins.

When an event runs over multiple months, I split the duration (in hours) into multiple months. The first and last month of an event may be decimals but in between it should be something like 720.00, 744.00 etc, depending on the month because for a month with 31 days you should have 744.00.

Currently, from the image above, what I am getting is not accurate. My logic in Power Query needs improving.

My query:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\saint\Downloads\Event_2.xlsx"), null, true),
    Event_2_Sheet = Source{[Item="Event_2",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Event_2_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"EventStartDateTime", type datetime}, {"EventEndDateTime", type datetime}}),
    #"Replaced null" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type", null, DateTime.LocalNow(), Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"EventEndDateTime"}),

// essential step to replicate the logic of the recursive cte
    n_Interval = Table.AddColumn(
        #"Replaced null",
        "n_Month",
        each let
                diff_yr = Date.Year([EventEndDateTime])-Date.Year([EventStartDateTime]),
                diff_m = Date.Month([EventEndDateTime])-Date.Month([EventStartDateTime]),
                n = diff_yr*12+diff_m, l = List.Accumulate({1..n},{[EventStartDateTime]},
                (s,c) => s & {Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths([EventStartDateTime],c))}),
                cols = {l, List.Skip(l)&{[EventEndDateTime]}}
            in Table.FromColumns(cols, {"Year","Month"})
    ),

#"Expanded n_Month" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(n_Interval, "n_Month", {"Year","Month"}),
    TotalHours = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded n_Month", "Hours", each Number.Round(Duration.TotalHours([Month]-[Year]),2)),
    #"Transformed Cols" = Table.TransformColumns(TotalHours, {{"Year", each DateTime.ToText(_, "yyyy")}, {"Month", each DateTime.ToText(_, "MMMM")}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Transformed Cols",{"EventStartDateTime", "EventEndDateTime"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

I did this in SQL Server code here and it works well

I have asked similar questions before but I am required to come up with lots of alternatives for performance’s sake.
I expect to get a result like the below, a correction from the first image above

My files are attached
Eventlog.pbix (90.8 KB)
Event_2.xlsx (17.0 KB)

I sincerely appreciate your effort

Hi @upwardD,

How does it perform in SQL, can you create a view and use that as a source instead?
A performance stategy is to push complex transformations back as far as possible, so if you can do it at the source that is prefered.

@upwardD In your last image you have Event ID as 400 for planting, that’s incorrect, right?

Hello @AntrikshSharma, I updated the EventID from 100 to 400. My focus is actually on the hours.
Thank you

Hi @Melissa, thank you for the reply. It is absolutely right that complex logic is pushed back into DB. My environment is a Databricks environment and the solution I put together is failing when implemented in that environment. My SQL code here does work however, not able to convert the code to work in DBX. This is why I am trying to use Power Query.
Thank you

Hi @upwardD, did the response provided by the experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @upwardD, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since May 11th. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @upwardD, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.