Bookmark Navigator Buttons

Hi folks.

I’ve got a parent-child (37 records top to bottom) relationship and was attempting to display it as a slicer. This didn’t work for me as I was unable to suppress blank child nodes.

I then downloaded the hierarchical slicer from the app store. This worked well in regards to suppressing blank child nodes, however, if I changed to another page, the slicer would reset to the top of my parent-child structure.

I then decided to try bookmark navigation buttons. Setting up the bookmarks was a time-consuming, tedious process. To add to that, I thought using the deselect feature would be handy so that the buttons would not appear “selected” and to return the visual to its original state. I’ve got a friend who likes to use the phrase “crazy-making”. Going through the buttons to make sure they are in the proper state when selected/not selected was the very definition of crazy-making.

My goal is to create an Income Statement, allowing my users to easily choose which level of consolidation they want to review.

The buttons seem like a good choice as they make a nice, big target for someone to click instead of:

• clicking to drill down the slicer
  • and then clicking the actual reporting level,

if not for the nightmarish set-up required.

Maybe the set-up horrors I experienced were due to my lack of experience.

Has anyone else done something like this? Is there another direction I can go in? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

I’ve attached a pbix containing my button navigation along with the reporting structure in a separate Excel file.

Thanks in advance.
bookmark-navigator-question.pbix (31.3 KB)
structure.xlsx (10.7 KB)

Hi @kaDargo

I create a new supporting table for the slicer

Report = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('structure'[Report Name],'structure'[ReportPath])

and a new measure to handler when show the row

ShowRowByLevel = 
VAR _Path =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Report[ReportPath] )
VAR _PathLenght =
    PATHLENGTH ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Report[ReportPath] ) )

VAR _Result =
            IF (
                PATHCONTAINS (
                    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'structure'[ReportPath] ),
                    PATHITEM ( _Path, _PathLenght )                  
                ),
            )
Return _Result

Add the measure to the visual filter panel

bookmark-navigator-question_jb.pbix (35.4 KB)

1 Like

@jbressan , Thanks for the response.

It appears you’re suggesting I remove my Lovecraftian button monstrosity (aka Cthulhu) and drive it with a simple drop-down list.

That allows me to keep the parent-child structure for ease of maintenance on the database side, but I was hoping to keep my users from searching thru the small text on the drop-down and clicking the small checkbox.

Any ideas on how I could avoid that AND Cthulhu?

Bumping this post for more visibility.

Hi @KaDargo! We noticed that your inquiry was left unsolved for quite some time now.

Looks like your inquiry was out of the experts and users’ bounds.

We strive to answer ALL inquiries in the forum. However, if you are sure that you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, you can check out tutorials to learn this yourself as your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done. Thank you!

1 Like

I think the respondent answered my original question, but not the follow up “wish list” question.

As I’ve worked through the issue, I’m thinking the respondent’s answer is sufficient and my “Cthulu” button monstrosity needs to just go away.

Next time, should I mark an answer as the solution so as to not cause you extra work?