Best way to visualize record changes in data log history?

Hello experts,

Need some advice when we have a table contain data log history, and we want to visualize from time to time what are the changes being made (and maybe by who), what is the best way to visualize it ?

I don’t have any data yet, but I think like a common log table contain several field in our original table, let say if it is Sales Orders table, the log table may contain field such as item id, prices, qty, delivery date, status, modify (entry) by. So time to time in one sales order the value of the fields may change. And in each changes, this table log will record this, so there will be as much line (row) as the data changed. I would like to build a report that visualize this.

Probably the purpose (for start) is to find which field changed very often or whose the person that keep changing data.

I’m so blank of how are we going to visualize it in Power BI.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Toni

To create a Log table, Power BI will not be the best option. You can check tools like SQL where you can easily compare incoming data with existing data using Functions like “MERGE”. Alternatively, can look for ETL tools like SSIS, Informatica, Azure Data Factory that has similar options available.

Once your Log table is ready, you can visualise as per the requirement.

Thanks
Ankit J

1 Like

Hi @Toni, just checking how are you with this query? Was @ankit able to help solve your query?

If so, kindly tag the post as “solution”. Thanks!

Hi @Toni, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since April 25th. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @Toni, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. My inquiry is not about “how to create a log table”, but how is the best to visualize this kind of information in Power BI.

As a typical log file, the information is mainly about how the same record changes over time. For example when I have this table:

SALESID LINENO ITEM PRICE QTY MODIFIEDDATETIME MODIFYBY
SO001 1 AA 15 2 5/25/2022 Admin1
SO001 1 AA 17 2 5/26/2022 Admin1
SO002 1 AA 20 5 5/28/2022 Admin2
SO002 1 AA 20 6 5/28/2022 Admin2
SO002 2 BBB 15 1 5/28/2022 Admin2
SO002 2 BBB 16 1 5/28/2022 Admin2
SO002 2 AA 15 1 5/28/2022 Admin1

In this log table, we can notice, SO001 has a 1 time change, in its Price, SO002 has 4 times change, and the changes is 1st on its QTY of line 1 and later, its Price of line 2, even line 2, someone change the item.

So I just want to know how we can visualize this with Power BI. I mean the best way to show the changes, how many time a Sales order has changed, and who are the person that keep changing the most. Probably something like that.

Thanks

Hi @Toni - Can create a Table visual to visualize the requirement or go for Card visuals. Please check attached file for 2 scenarios that are mentioned.

Log File.pbix (20.3 KB)

Thanks
Ankit J

1 Like