Best practice for workspace structure to present crossfunctional KPIs

Hi everyone,

We currently have five workspaces in place:

Quality, Production, Sales, Maintenance, Project

The workspaces content is used for trend analysis. Deep dive analysis within each functional group.

We now want to create a crossfunctional report/dashboard/app e.g. for management teams which shows high level KPIs extracted from the 5 different workspaces. But, if I understand correctly, a dashboard or app can only show the content which is located in the same workspace.

Question:
Is there another way or bestpractice to be able to set up a crossfunctional dashboard beside putting all the content into one single workspace which limits ability to setup up security/role access restrictions?

How would you approach the scenario and configuration setup?

Thanks in advance

/Carl

1. You can connect to datasets from other workspaces and publish only the resulting report into the common workspace. The security/role from each of the workspace does flow into the report. However, you will face challenge in importing multiple datasets into a single report but a dashboard might work in your scenario.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces

2. You can also copy each of these reports (just the reports and not the underlying datasets) from their respective workspaces to the common workspace and the publish a Power BI App with 5 tabs.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-copy-reports

3. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I suspect you can add hyperlinks to reports from multiple reports from other workspaces within a single Power BI App.
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/designing-custom-navigation-for-power-bi-apps-is-now-available/

In each of the above scenario, you will have to provide access to every member of the 5 workspaces to this new workspace. I suggest you set up Security Groups for each workspaces and just add the 5 security groups to the common workspace. Each team will be responsible for managing their respective Security Groups.

Thanks for the reply!

Which alternative would be your prefered choice and why?

eDNA doesn’t use management workspaces. I’m curious what they recommend to clients who ask about this.

of @pranamg’s options. I would choose #1.

• Make a management workspace and build high-level reports there that point to the source datasets.
  • Make a dashboard to consolidate the KPIs and perhaps only publish the dashboard to the management app

eDNA internal workspaces:

Zero Customization:
If the requirement is to just replicate these reports in their current form without any changes/modifications, I would start by exploring #3 as that involves least effort in terms of setting up and maintaining but I won’t be able to pin the KPIs from various reports in a single Dashboard. Also, with the new feature of creating multiple audiences within a Power BI App, It would provide me with additional options on restricting viewing of reports (or bundle of reports) to each group within the Power BI App itself. This option does not provide me with flexibility of picking and choosing the report pages within each report though.

Minimal customization:
If the requirement is to create a Executive summary report for Executive management based on the 5 functions, I would go with #2 as I would be able to stitch these 5 reports into a single Power BI App.

Maximum flexibility/customization
If the requirement is to provide flexibility to the end users in terms of creating additional insights from the underlying reports or to enable cross-filtering between reports or support Q&A visuals etc, I would go with #1.

Hello @Carl_Hellberg,

Did the response above help solve your query?

If not, can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need? If it did, please mark the solution that helped you.

Thank you

Hello @Carl_Hellberg ,

Due to the length by which this post has been active, we are tagging it as Solved.

Thanks to the contributors of this post.

For further questions related to this post, please make a new thread. Please feel free to reopen this thread if anyone would like to answer the pending inquiry above.

Thank you