Average of Margin

So what I am trying to arrive at is an Average of Margin after all Expenses. How do I get the average of this? The goal is to be able to show how each program’s margin performs against the average.

I have calculated already the “Margin After All Expenses” that formula is below:

Margin after All Expenses is:

Margin after All Expenses = CALCULATE(
[Tuition Revenue] - [Overall Expenses], VALUES(Dates[Academic Year]), VALUES(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Career]), VALUES( ‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Plan Description]))

Where tuition revenue is:

Tuition Revenue = CALCULATE(
SUM(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Class Price]), VALUES(Dates[Academic Year]), VALUES( ‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Career]), VALUES( ‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Plan Description]))

Where Overall Expenses is:

Overall Expenses = CALCULATE(
[Academic Expenses] + [Campus Overhead], VALUES(Dates[Academic Year]), VALUES( ‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Career]), VALUES( ‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Plan Description]))

Academic Expenses is:

Academic Expenses = CALCULATE(
SUM(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Expenses per Registration]), VALUES(Dates[Academic Year]), VALUES(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Career]), VALUES(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Plan Description]))

Campus Overhead is:

Campus Overhead = CALCULATE(
SUM(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Staff and Operational Expenses per Registration]), VALUES(Dates[Academic Year]), VALUES(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Career]), VALUES(‘Worldwide Registrations’[Academic Year End Academic Plan Description]))

I did go back and calculate a % Operating Margin:

% Operating Margin = DIVIDE([Margin after All Expenses], [Tuition Revenue], 0)

I want to be able to show how each program performs against an average operating margin.

Hi J Michael Williams
Can you please share a PBIX file that has a few data points so we get a better understanding of the issue?

Regards
Joe

Because of the type of information, I cannot without violating FERPA. To get down to average I used the below formula. But if I want to use a Bubble chart do I have to create X and Y axis from some pre-defined data?

Average % Operating Margin = CALCULATE( [% Operating Margin], ALLEXCEPT( Dates, Dates[Academic Year]))

Thanks for posting your question @jmwdba. To receive a resolution in a timely manner please make sure that you provide all the necessary details on this thread.

Here is a potential list of additional information to include in this thread; demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

Including all of the above will likely enable a quick solution to your question.

Hi @jmwdba, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 24th of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!