APPS and Workspaces

I have struggled looking through the material on this site to find anything covering APPS. I have a report that I want to distribute as an APP. As such I am looking for
how to build an app.
How many apps per workspace
How to distribute.

I am not sure if its the phrase App but even sewarching on youtube is not very succesfull.
Thanks
E

@ells,

I think you’ll find these helpful:

• Brian

@BrianJ
Thanks
I found the two you tube videos good, just could have done with more detail. I dont know how I missed the Apps and workspaces explained!
The whole topic of Apps just does not seem to get much discussion.

It still looks like its one app per workspace? Does this mean I am going to have to create a workspace fpor each App ?

Many Many Thanks
E

Hello @ells,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Well yes, you’ll be required to create a workspace for each app. Since only one app can be created per workspace. I’m also providing a link below of a recent article from Microsoft wherein it clearly states that all different reports or dashboards are stored in a one single app. And also providing a snapshot below for the reference of a column where it’s being stated.

It also includes all the information about how you can share your app and what kind of capacity is required in order to view the report in a app by the End Users.

Hoping you find this useful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-apps

@Harsh
Thanks for that. Funny how one question leads to another and then another.

The big restriction seems to be 1 workspace can contain at maximum one app.

If a company has 10 departments and the ten departments all need 10 different Apps you suddenly need to manage 100 Workspaces. I can see this getting wildly out of control for massive Global companies with multiple departments with multiple geographical requirements.

Obviously a lot of planning is required for this.

Thnaks
E

Hello @ells,

Well for example if there are that many departments and also if we take geographical requirements into considerations then I guess the report developer can implement the “Row Level Security” option and create a report accordingly and then publish it into an individual apps accordingly. So atleast rather than maintaining that many workspaces and apps the size will of maintenance will atleast get considerably smaller.

This can be the lone solution in this case. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
harsh

1 Like

@Harsh
Unfortunatelly RLS will work if the data for Global is in one data source rather than ten different Regions with different ways of storing the data. I know this is a great example of isnt that what Big Data should be used for.

In my smaller part of the world it looks like all of the Apps are going to be merged in one App and RLS will determmine if they can see any data. This does seem like a poor second rate solution with a lot of support calls for “where is my data?”. But I dont see an alternative.

Thanks
E