Application of Slicers on the Visuals

I need help with applying the slicers to the respective set of visuals. I have described the problem in the screenshot below and also attached the PBIX file for reference

Slicer Application.pbix (550.1 KB)

My apologies for not tagging the request to appropriate section. I cannot however tag it now so if you can please tag it to “PowerBI” that will be helpful.

Regards,
Ranjith

Hi @brjeeth, we aim to consistently improve the topics being posted on the forum to help you in getting a strong solution faster. While waiting for a response, here are some tips so you can get the most out of the forum and other Enterprise DNA resources.

• Use the forum search to discover if your query has been asked before by another member.

• When posting a topic with formula make sure that it is correctly formatted to preformated text </>.

• Use the proper category that best describes your topic

• Provide as much context to a question as possible.

• Include demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

I also suggest that you check the forum guideline https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/how-to-use-the-enterprise-dna-support-forum/3951. Not adhering to it may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Seems this is solved in this post?

@samaguire : I have been using the suggestions from the previous post to build on…

As you see, the problem here is:

1. Apply the respective slicer but also rank on one measure while displaying another measure.

2. Use both the slicers and display the Customer across the selected Ad Types…

I have tried to explain the problems in more detail in the PBIX file. Hope they make sense.

Ranjith

@brjeeth,

Q1: Create a RANKX-based measure to rank Products based on [Total Orders Adv-1], and then set a visual-level to show only Rank <= 7.

Rank Products = 

IF( HASONEVALUE( Products[Product Name] ),
    CALCULATE(
        RANKX(
            ALL(Products),
            [Total Orders (Adv1)],,
            DESC,
            Dense
        ),
        ALLSELECTED( Sales[Ad Type])
    ),
    BLANK()
)

Q2: You’ve hit on one of my pet peeves about Power BI - while it’s very easy to dynamically hide rows in a matrix or table, it’s really difficult to do the same for columns. @jcgrigsby and I worked out an approach last year that may work for you here. If this doesn’t work for your particular case, let me know – I have some other ideas about how to do this, although aesthetically they’re not ideal.

Hope this is helpful.
• Brian

1 Like

@BrianJ: Thanks again for your quick response and solution!!

Will give both a try.

@brjeeth,

One other thing I meant to mention - your data has a lot of ties in it, and so you’re going to need to decide how to handle that in RANKX. There are three ways to do this - Dense, Skip and custom tiebreaker. Dense and skip are described below.

Custom tiebreakers are used when you have a secondary criteria to do another RANKX on to differentiate tied items (products, in this case). In some use cases, people just use RAND() or RANDBETWEEN() to break ties.

Dense is probably the most common option, which is what I used in the example measure.

• Brian

Hi @brjeeth, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box. Thanks!