Advanced DAX Combinations

Hi:

This category is the closest I could find for my question.

I just attended Sam’s “Advanced DAX Combinations” series of lectures.

I have a question regarding the “How to Segment Your Data Based on Any Measure” video.

Sam uses measures to add columns to the Regions lookup table for City Sales Rank and Total Sales per City.

My questions:

1. Wouldn’t the data in these columns become stale over time? Would the measure need to be invoked after each refresh of data?

2. Can the same purpose be achieved by dynamically in a measure using VARs for the City Sales Rank and Total Sales per city?

Thanks.

Regards,

John Giles

Hi @JohnG, we aim to consistently improve the topics being posted on the forum to help you in getting a strong solution faster.

• Include the masked demo pbix file.

Not adhering to it may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Here are some videos that may help you masking sensitive data and create datasets and data models representative of your problem:

How To Mask Sensitive Data In Power BI

Free Power BI Resource Collection Including Dataset Builder Tool

1 Like

Hello Brian:

Are you sure you responded to the question I asked? I didn’t include a formula.

John Giles

Hi @JohnG

I reviewed the video. First of all, I think that there is a misunderstanding. Sam, didn’t use measures in the Regions lookup table, he actually used “Calculated Columns” instead. Both the “City Group” and “City Sales Rank” are calculated columns as their icons show. As he mentions through the video, this is another great technique for segmentation.

Second, you don’t need to revise the measures or calculated columns every time you refresh the data. All the measures and calculated columns in Power BI are dynamic.

Regards
Hossein

1 Like

Thank You, Hossein.

Yes, “Calculated Columns”. If only I’d asked the question clearly and completely.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Just a point of clarification here. Measures in Power BI are fully dynamic. Calculated columns are not dynamic within the scope of a reporting session. They update only upon refresh of the report.

I think this discussion was primarily focused on the need (or not) to continually update measures and calculated columns across reporting sessions, so @sedhosen’s point is correct in that regard, but I just wanted to prevent any misunderstanding by someone reading the thread.

– Brian

John – FYI, the response above was not mine – that was the Enterprise DNA team that supports the forum behind the scenes. While I work for Enterprise DNA, on the forum I will always use my @BrianJ account when responding.

2 Likes

Oh…, I totally forgot that. Thank you @BrianJ for the clarification. :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @JohnG , did the response provided by @BrianJ help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query.

I hope that you are having a great experience using the Support Forum so far. Kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, we hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @EnterpriseDNA, this actually is @JohnG question. I just tried to solve the question, and @BrianJ kindly helped me by mentioning some important notes.

Apologies for the tagging error @sedhosen. Thank you for your help on solving this problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @JohnG, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 14th of June. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @JohnG, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Hello Brian:

I apologize. I’m fairly confident that I marked this post as “solved” last night (Sunday) around 9;30 EDT.

John Giles