Adding a column based on State

I am trying to put together a map that will look similar to the one in Power Bi Showcases/Regional Performance. I am looking to do “total orders” and group the states together by pod groups. Our pods are based on states. We have the North Pod, SouthEast Pod, and West Pod. I think a conditional column is the way to go but I’m not sure how to do it.

The excel sheet I am loading into the model does not have the pods in it. It just has the states as a column

Hi there,

This should be quite straight forward when using the shape map if you already have the data available.

Where are you actually getting stuck with this?

Here’s a video on the shape map

If you can’t see the shape map in your Power BI desktop file you’ll may need to turn on the feature as it’s still in preview for some reason

You need to go here - File > Options & Settings

Then you’ll see this

Thank you for the reply Sam!!
I didn’t word my question properly. What I need to do is get my orders into Pods. Pods are based on states.

North Pod is CT, DE, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NJ, NH, NY, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SD, VT, WA, WI

SouthEast Pod is AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV

West Pod is AK, AZ, CA, CO, DC, HI, NV, NM, TX, UT, VA, WY

Hard Money Pod is all states but only certain clients

So I want the orders to be split into the pods with either a conditional column or some sort of DAX formula

The Excel sheet I am using has the Address, State, City, County for columns.

Ok sure there’s a few options.

One is you can create a supporting table (in excel) for example and then look to merge this into your Regions table.

So it will just be a separate table with your states and the unique pod it is in.

Check out this video to info on this

The other option is to look into virtual grouping.

Check out this video for more info on this feature. It’s a good one.

Virtual Groups worked and is awesome. Thank you Sam

Great stuff. Chrs