A good visual to show "less" is better

Hi, I am looking for a visual that is suitable to display where “less” is better.

AInkedDial%20on%20remaining%20Patients%5B511%5D_LI

Above are 2 visuals in my report. Currently both KPIs are done with “dial” visual.

1st KPI “Completed Draw” is the # of draws done by phlebotomist. We want this # to be as “high” as possible.
I think in this case, dial visual works.
2nd KPI “Remaining Patients” is the # of patients left or still need to get to. We want this # to as “low” as possible. 0 will be the best. In this case, dial visual is not suitable for this KPI.

I can always change this KPI to just a plain “card” visual. I had been looking in MarketPlace and not yet find one that really a good fit. If anyone of you know a custom visual that is a good fit, please let me know. I don’t mind to buy the visual even from a 3rd party vendor.

Thanks much!

@akiko_lim,

What about something like this? (Brick Chart by MAQ)

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380836?tab=Overview

Thanks Brian, this is great. thanks for sharing. let me share this with the product manager. :slight_smile: have a wonderful day!

@akiko_lim,

Thanks - glad that was helpful. Good luck with the project.

@akiko_lim,

Just curious - what visualization did you ultimately use In your report to reflect the “less is better” concept?

• Brian

Hi Brian,
I presented the option, the product manager feels the Brick chart doesn’t go well with the rest of the visuals currently we have on the report. We still have this as a backlog. Recently the client get a senior UI\UX designer to help me with some of the usability flows from tabs to tabs for this report. This backlog is put for him to think of a way to display “less is better” data. Please allow me to update once we have an elegant solution for our report. Do appreciate you checking back.

Thanks – that would be terrific. I’ve got a need for this in one of my projects as well. Currently, I’m using the Brick chart as a placeholder, but would love to see what your UI/UX expert comes up with.

• Brian

Hi Brian:
Just a tot to share… I proposed solutions even though this item is being added to backlog. I want to share with you the following: -
(a) - display the KPI as # (card visual), using color Green Vs Red as a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ indicator.
(b) Display data by using “Data Bar KPI”

I personally like option (a). sometimes “simple is good”

(a) visual sample:
(b) visual sample:

@akiko_lim,

Thanks for sharing. I agree that the simple colored KPI card is pretty effective. The one thing it’s missing though is the target value. To bring this conversation full-circle, since we started this discussion initially, Microsoft has added a lot of conditional formatting options to the dial gauge, where it actually might be an effective option now. See what you think…

• Brian
1 Like

Thanks for sharing Brian. Yes, dial with conditional formatting options may help us… Let me play around. Thanks again for pointing this out. :slight_smile:

HI Brian, I want to update you the visual that we set on for this “less is better” backlog.

We ended up set on using “Up Arrow” or “Down Arrow” next to the KPI as a Visual clue to the reader.

Eg:

If my Remaining Patients for my shift is less than past 90 days compare, then I get a Green Up Arrow.

:slight_smile:

Here is the DAX query to get the UP or Down Arrow.

SWITCH (TRUE(),
[Indicator Completed Draws color] = 1, UNICHAR(9650) – up arrow
,[Indicator Completed Draws color] = 2, UNICHAR(9660) – down arrow
, “” )

1 Like

@akiko_lim,

Thanks for the update. I like it - clean, clear and simple.

If you’re interested in perhaps adding a small 90 day sparkline to the card to show additional context for the up/down arrow, here’s a really clever way to do so:

• Brian