What fields are being utilized

I am currently working on a report from a preexisting views and tables. There are a multitude of fields. I’m trying to streamline the report. Is there a way to see what fields are being utilized (either directly or indirectly through relationships) so I can eliminate the others? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hi @robertdseals

I’ve used Bravo for things like this before. I’m unsure if it checks relationships but it does check if a field is being used on the report or not.

Thanks,

Hi @robertdseals

I noticed you didn’t provide a PBIX file. Providing one will help users and experts find a solution to your inquiry faster and better.

A perfect initial question includes all of the following:

• A clear explanation of the problem you are experiencing
  • A mockup of the results you want to achieve
  • Your current work-in-progress PBIX file
  • Your underlying data file (to allow us to go into Power Query if necessary to transform your data and/or data model – often DAX questions really end up being data modeling solutions)

Check out this thread on Tools and Techniques for Providing PBIX Files with Your Forum Questions

Not completing your data may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Hi Robert do you have a power bi report to share so that we are able to see what you are doing?

Not really. It’s more of a general question. I just started a new job and they have a multitude of reports each with a multitude of tables. :slight_smile: I just don’t know if everything loaded is needed. Thanks,

Hi @robertdseals,

We noticed that your inquiry was left unsolved for quite some time now.
Looks like your inquiry was out of the experts and users’ bounds.

If you were sure you provided all pertinent context to your concerns and read how to use the forum more effectively and still find your question unanswered, your membership also comes with relevant resources that may help you with your Power BI education, so we advise that you check these resources as well.

While our users and experts do as much as reasonable to help you with your inquiries, not all concerns can be attended to especially if there are some learnings to be done. Thank you!

@robertdseals , completely understand this frustration. I cannot fathom why PBI hasn’t made this a feature/tool yet.

Some options:

• Bravo, as someone else mentioned
  • This nifty but resource-intensive Field Finder Tool
  • Learning the guts of DMV in DAX Studio. There are a bunch of online tutorials that, taken together, are more confusing than singly, but hopefully they’ll send you off in some direction that is useful. Here’s one I’ve used that creates a data dictionary - not exactly what you want, but gets you started on learning this stuff.

I’m still trying to unravel how to use all the info in DAX Studio to actually get what I want. Again, why this isn’t substantially easier, I don’t know. If you happen to find something better, @ me because I’m looking for the same thing!

I think this article might have the closest thing to a solution.

I think this article might be the closes thing we have to a solution.

Right after I hit reply on this, I saw that @BrianJ posted what looks like potentially a great solution from Kratos BI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geeMi7Zwyqs. Going to check that out as soon as I have time.

@Gaelan ,

Check out this video I did earlier in the week on Measure Killer - a fantastic free tool for determining what fields and measures in your report are unused. The amazing thing is that it will automatically write the M code and C# scripts necessary to delete them in bulk.

I think you’ll find it’s just the ticket for what you need.

• Brian
2 Likes

As always, coming through with the best info! Thanks much!

1 Like

Great! - glad that was what you needed.

• Brian