Visuals Blank after Power Bi Refresh

The dashboard works on Power Bi Desktop but as soon as I publish it and the data refreshes the visuals go blank!! Does anyone have any idea what’s going on??
Desktop

PBI after data refresh

1 Like

Hi @BernM, we aim to consistently improve the topics being posted on the forum to help you in getting a strong solution faster. While waiting for a response, here are some tips so you can get the most out of the forum and other Enterprise DNA resources.

• Use the forum search to discover if your query has been asked before by another member.

• When posting a topic with formula make sure that it is correctly formatted to preformatted text </>.

• Use the proper category that best describes your topic

• Provide as much contextn to a question as possible.

• Include the masked demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

I also suggest that you check the forum guideline https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/how-to-use-the-enterprise-dna-support-forum/3951. Not adhering to it may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Please also check the How To Mask Sensitive Data thread for some tips on how to mask your pbix file.

@BernM - a few questions about your model

• Are you using custom visuals, or are these all stock visuals already installed on the Desktop?
  • Looking at your first screenshot, I’m guessing that when you uploaded your report, the dataset was attached, do you see that dataset in the service?
  • Have you used any special techniques in your model (like Calculation Groups, of the new composite models) ?
  • Have you tried a second refresh? (to see if this was just a temporary glitch)

I’m not using any custom visuals - they are all stock. The dataset is in the service. I don’t think I’m using any special techniques. and yes, I’ve tried refreshing the data multiple times. It happens everytime.

@BernM, I would suggest checking the security configuration in the published workspace. Typically when “everything else works”, it ends up being security/permissions that are the issue.

Looking at your screenshots, I see there is some data for the Job to Date table, so any differences you can find about that data versus the data not showing up would be helpful.

2 Likes

Hi BernM,
I can think of about following scenario
I can see your report showing relative data. It shows last 2 weeks of data. You might have develop this report using local static data source. But when you publish the report the live data source might not have data for last 2 weeks.
Thats why after publishing your report not showing any data.

Also you need to check security configuration.
Hope this helps!.

I am using a relative time filter for all of the visuals except the Job to Date. There is data for that date filter - if I refresh the data on PBI desktop and then publish the report and go to refresh now the visuals blank out.

Another thing to check besides permissions is the date configuration both in the report and in the service. While rare, I have seen issues with using the default “local date configuration” option (the one with the * in front of the date) instead of picking an explicit date format. Then if the local format differs between your desktop PC and the service, it may not work well. As a primary example, US and European dates flip the day and month. Sam always confuses me with his 1/7/20xx dates because I’m thinking January and his data is in July :slight_smile:. If this were the case, it would definitely explain the issue with your “last 2 weeks” metrics disappearing.

John C. Pratt

1 Like

I most often use the “dd-mmm-yyyy” date format (e.g., 17-Jan-2021) to hopefully avoid such occurrences, unless my report need to be multi-lingual.
Greg

2 Likes

Hi @BernM did the response provided by the users and experts help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. Thanks!

Hi @BernM, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 26th of January. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Hello BernM,
I’d like to highlight that the relative date filter functions based on TODAY’s day of the day you refreshed it, not based on the latest date in your model, so upon refreshing, are you sure there was any data that’s has a date of less than 15 days before the refresh ?
Example : if you refresh it on the 01/02/2021 there should be at least data dated 15/01/2021 regardless of what’s in the data.

If this explains it please mark it as a solution