Slow Power BI issue

Hi All

My Power BI is painfully slow. On task manager it shows as taking up 1.6GB of memory while running - any way to fix this? (note in order to avoid excessive calculations in BI, a lot of my calculations I did in excel)

Kind regards

Stuart

Hi @Stuart

What is the size of your PBIX file ?

Did you uncheck Auto detect date fields ? If not please uncheck

The file is 2.7MB. Unchecked auto detect date fields, didn’t do much…

Check with performance analyzer and see which visual is taking long time(DAX Query or Visual Display or Other)

This really helps to understand why the report is slow

Ah, it shows most time take from tables > DAX query. So I need to try optimise DAX?

@Stuart,

The best way for us to see what is going on is for you to share your PBIX file. It is also a best practice to do your calculations in Power BI with DAX or M, instead of doing it in Excel.

Thanks
Jarrett

Yes…If possible please share PBIX file

Thanks for posting your question @Stuart. To receive a resolution in a timely manner please make sure that you provide all the necessary details on this thread.

Here is a potential list of additional information to include in this thread; demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

Including all of the above will likely enable a quick solution to your question.

I managed to reduce my DAX calcs significantly, which has sped up Power BI. In doing so, I wrote the below formulae:

CY. =
VAR CURRENTITEM = SELECTEDVALUE( ‘Detailed P&L’[Items (Normalized)] )

RETURN
SWITCH( TRUE() ,
CURRENTITEM = “Total Revenues”, CALCULATE( [Subject IS], ‘Subject hotel’[Items (Normalized)] = “Total Revenues”) ,
CALCULATE( [Subject IS] , FILTER(‘Subject hotel’ , ‘Subject hotel’[Items (Normalized)] = CurrentItem)) )

Now “Subject IS” has got numbers and %ages in it. How do I format the above so that if I select % of Revenue on my slicer, it shows up as a %age?

Please be sure to check out our DAX Clean Up tool it’s a great way to ensure to make your DAX code easy to read. Thanks!

https://analysthub.enterprisedna.co/dax-clean-up