Setup data model which allows to interact easily

Hi,

I’d appreciate some pointers on how to create visuals that illustrate how site capacities alter when there are numerous moves taking place. The goal is to present various possibilities so that the viewer may select the most appropriate one.

I’m trying to create a data model that will allow me to think about the following:

• Site storage capacities
  • Brands stored in Sites
  • Stock moves
  • External Storage
  • View evolution of pallet movements during Months of the year

E.g. Scenario 1:

Site 1 storage fullness is at 92%, Site 2 49% and Site 3 is 72%, if i move Brand 11 out from Site 1 and Site 3 into Site 2 visuals would show new % of fulness for each site on the same Graph.

Scenario 2:

External storage 1 moves into Site 2 or half of the volume moves into Site 3

Scenario 3:

Stock move 1 Moves into Site 3 or Site 2

Scenario 4:

Site 3 does Stock Move 1 gradually, total to move 1429 pallets but we decide to Move 457 in July and 457 in August and September 476 so total in Site 3 for September month will be 1429. Following month pallet holding is reducing because we ship them out.

I’d appreciate any help you can give me in making this. Site and offsite storage capacities, as well as the number of pallets that can be moved, should each be maintained in their own separate, editable file.

Please see below link to Excel file which i want to replicate in power bi.

Need Power BI view of this.xlsx -

Password is Powerbi123

Kind regards

Martins

1 Like

Hi Martins,

welcome to the forum, I could be wrong but I feel this is quite a big ask for a single post.

You’re asking for someone to ingest the data, potentially clean the data in Power Query, then create a data model, create measures, and create the visuals. Pretty much a consulting piece of work.

There is so much content available in the Learning Portal that will allow you to get started on this, if you encounter some problems along the way then perhaps post on the specific issue you encounter rather than ask for a report to be built.

My advice would be to ingest the data, create a data model yourself, create some measures and have a play around with visuals and see where you get to. I work in a very similar industry to you (by the sound of things) so if you get that far and still have issues it will be easier for someone in the forum to assist. You will quite likely be able to create a significant portion of what you require and you will learn a lot through trial and error. You will learn far more by trying to create the report than someone producing it for you and trying to explain it.

We could then work on any pieces that you can’t seem to get past or make work.

If anyone feels my reply is out of line then I’m happy to stand corrected.

David

Have a look in the Showcase section of the Learning Portal to see if there are any reports which might be on a similar subject, they will be useful and you can download them to assist you.

Dashboard (enterprisedna.co)

1 Like

Hi David,

Thank you for the welcome message.

I’ve spent quite a few hours trying to figure out the best method, so any advice you can provide me would be greatly appreciated, and it makes perfect sense to share what’s been done so far.

I will get few examples over where i get stuck as its probably easier that way instead of looking at single piece.

Thanks!

1 Like

No worries. I’m actually working on a stock report today.

Make sure you have a date table in your report, link below to the best date table around.

Extended Date Table (Power Query M function) - DAX / M Code Showcase - Enterprise DNA Forum

Also, create a dimension table for your site storage capacities. Ask yourself the question if these capacities will change over time or are they fixed? If they change over time you will need to create what is called a Slowly Changing Dimension table.

Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Probably create a dimension table for your Brands too.

2 Likes

Hello @MartinsVitolins

Did the responses above help solve your query?

If not, can you let us know where you’re stuck and what additional assistance you need?

If it did, please mark the answer as the SOLUTION by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then tick the check box beside SOLUTION

Thank you

Hi @MartinsVitolins

Due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”.

If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We request you to kindly take time to answer the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey,.

We hope you’ll give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!