Quick Project Task Count

Looking to better understand date calcs. What I have is a project with a number of tasks in each phase.

“WBS”, “Phase”, “task name”, “resource”, “baseline start date”, “baseline end date”, “actual start date”, “actual end date”

The baseline is the initial task estimate vs. the actual which is obviously the actual times. :wink:

What I am interested in creating is a visual of how many tasks are “live” or underway at any point in time comparing the baseline task profile to the actual.

The chart would show a column or line chart of the baseline task timeline and the actual time.ine. If a task starts it increases the number active in a day and if a task ends it decreases number of active on that day.

The project could span several months with thousands of tasks.

Key metrics would be sum and average of actual start from baseline start at each phase determining how close were we to starting on time. Also metrics on end date. How many days late, starting and ending etc.

I did see the announcement for a July 19th webinar on projects which I registered for but am in a hurry for this.

I suspect, CALCULATE to iterate through the dates as well as multiple inactive relationships.

Thanx.

This is all about managing multiple dates in your fact tables.

Once you know the technique you’ll be away.

Check out these video here which detail how to do this.

Then watch these as well. It’s exactly the same technique each time.

This will also be covered again during the upcoming project management workshop

Sam

WHat about this sample code:

Count of Baseline Tasks = VAR CurrDate = MAX('Date'[Date])
    VAR FilteredTasks = FILTER(WBS,WBS[ErlStrt(B)] <= CurrDate
    && WBS[ErlFin (B)] >= CurrDate)
    VAR TotalTasks = COUNTROWS(FilteredTasks)
    return TotalTasks

where
ErlStrt(B) is Baseline Task Start Date
ErlFin (B) is Baseline Task End Date

Then do the same for the Actuals and also create a difference measure.

No you definitely want to be using the '‘events in progress’ pattern here which is detailed in all the example tutorials above.

This will solve for exactly what you need.

Sam

Thanx Sam will give it a go. Cheers