Question about relationship model

Hi, great course learning a lot.

First time to post here, so excuse me if I’m not posting my question in the right place.

In the course entitled "Financial Reporting with Power BI, in the module “Developing your data model and creating the right relationships” , I noticed that you do not make a relationship from the customer table to the invoice table. Why is that? Both of these tables have the field “customer index”. Without this relationship can the two tables still interact?
Thanks
James

James,

Welcome to the forum. In order to have an active relationship, you need to create a relationship between those 2 tables. There are ways to create “Active” relationships when creating measures with DAX. Look for some of Sam’s video’s on TREATAS or USERELATIONSHIP if interested in creating the relationship through DAX.

Here is a video from Sam about relationships:

Thanks

Enterprise%20DNA%20Expert%20-%20Small

1 Like

Hi James LR,

Its good that you are enjoying the course. There are many ways to create relationships and when you will be watching more videos by Sam McKay, he does explain that in detail. The main idea is that you can create active relationships in various ways and once you know different ways, you can utilise it in your model as per the requirement.
Hope to have cleared the point.
All the best

1 Like

Hi @JamesLR , we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 11th of March. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Hi @JamesLR, you may also want to check this video where Sam talked about Setting up relationships in your models. You might get additional tips here.