Project forecasting with Financials

Hi All,

I’ve been busily creating a really nice Project Planning Tool for new Features and Products our company develops. In doing this I’ve been using the Financial Modelling Course as a guide.

I’d like to be able to use “What if” Parameters to change the dates of when projects will start which I am happy to advise I have been able to do quite easily at a global scale. i.e. I can move the dates of all projects up and down a month, but really I would like to be able to do this with individual projects and see how that would affect the cash flows overall. I’m thinking I will need to use Variables somehow to select the case I am after and change the start date of their cashflows only. I’m also expecting I will need a WhatIf parameter built for each project.

Here’s what I’m using for the Global Forecast with a single slider for all.

Total Expected Sales Forecast =
CALCULATE(
SUMX(‘Feature Revenues’,
[Expected Order Quantity] * [Expected Unit Price] ),
DATEADD(Dates[Date],‘Start Month’[Start Month Value]*-1,MONTH))

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dave

Struggling to understand everything at play in the scenario. Probably need to see a demo model and some images of how these are all interacting together.

At the moment I’m just seeing a formula but not understanding the context or relationship sitting in behind the model that would affect it.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to integrate a parameter of a date into a formula so there must be something more to it which is not obvious at the moment.

Sam

Hi @DavidNealon, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since Nov 11, 2019. We just want to check if you still need further help on this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. You may reopen a new thread when the need arise.

Hi @DavidNealon, a similar topic was covered in this forum thread link. You might get additional tips here