Problem of the Week #3 (DAX) - Timesheet and Wages

Here’s my submission for POTW #3. Big thanks to @Greg for development of a really interesting and relevant problem.

I found the compare and contrast of measures and calculated columns here quite interesting, since I’d never done a problem entirely in measures before and then reworked the whole thing in calculated colums. Here’s what I took away from that:

Summary

Measures:

• Fully dynamic within the course of a report session
  • Only calculated when needed, saving space and reducing refresh time
  • Keep data model from getting cluttered with excess columns

Calculated columns:

• Somewhat easier to write, since row context is inherent
  • No additional work needed to be done to fix totals - they were correct right out of the gate.
  • For intensive calculations, may be a better choice than measures due to performance issues (but PQ may be an even superior choice)
  • Have their uses, but in most cases if I need the data in a column rather than in a measure, I will do it in Power Query rather than as a DAX calc column

eDNA POTW 3 - DAX - Wages - Solution BEJ - v1.pbix (130.8 KB)

Note: my file looks a little different, since I developed this solution while helping test the initial development of the problem, before we added in the spiffy background images, but the data and results are the same.

- Brian

3 Likes

Here is my submission: Antriksh.pbix (651.9 KB)

Summary

Includes:

1. Measure version
  2. Calculated Table version ( With and without static segmentation )
  3. Calculated Column version

As usual I took the approach of precomputing everything and as my own found best practice I believe in only creating one single measure for each task, no matter what!

All three versions have been optimized as much as I could.

If Grand Total has to be included then measures run between 30-40 ms

M - Wage Calculation =

M - Wage Calculation 2 =

Without Grand Totals
M - Wage Calculation =

M - Wage Calculation 2 =

Calculated Tables are computed around 27 - 32ms
CT - WageCalculation

CT - WageCalculation 2

Calculated Columns are computed around 26-30ms
CC - Total Wages

CC - Total Wages2

All of the above performance results are applicable in a scenario where you show 3670 rows at once without any selection over slicers, but since PBI uses TOPN to limit the result in a table visual to 502, the queries will run in less than 15ms, and xmSQL always fetches the data cache that is similar to the number of rows displayed in the visual, which is a good thing.

Once you have a selection over slicers:

4 Likes

Everyone,

Here is my submission. The visuals aren’t anything special - just tables to view the data and make sure it appears to be calculating correctly.

Overall, I didn’t find much of a difference between using either a measure or a calculated column given that the DAX is essentially the same. (Note - I only did a calculated column for the wages as the hours are already there). But overall, I tend to stick with measures versus the extra column when I can.

Definitely enjoyed this one as it did take me some time to figure out the approach. My initial attempt used variables and way to many IF statements which killed performance. Thanks to @Sue for the suggestion of using the pen and paper as a starting point as I went back to the starting board and found a much easier way.

eDNA POTW 3 - Timesheets and Wages - DAX - January 2021.pbix (787.1 KB)

2 Likes

I think we must have gone down the same wormhole of Var’s and If statements :grinning:

1 Like

Hello all,
Here is my solution

I prefer using measures as a best practice for performance. The DAX is very similar between the two, but the calculated column gives the advantage of seeing the results in PBI.
I started with the measures. My strategy was to split it down to small pieces. Used IF statement as the dataset was small.

eDNA POTW 3 - Timesheets and Wages - ABadiu.pbix (670.4 KB)

No worries at all … that was exactly the purpose, as a DAX exercise, not a visual exercise.

1 Like

Per @Greg’s response, the goals of POTW were to:
a) have everyone address the same problem using the same tools, so that we could all compare/contrast/learn from the different approaches taken
b) not be onerous - make them challenging but not super time-consuming to hopefully spur widespread participation

Thus, we are not asking for anything more than the solution scope laid out in the problem.

**BUT… if the problem inspires you to carry your deliberate practice into other areas, such as visualization, then by all means…go nuts. I was working last night on testing @haroonali1000’s POTW #4 problem, and when I finished, it just seemed like a good context in which to try @MudassirAli’s combination of small multiples and calculation groups - totally unrelated to Haroon’s task.

Bottom line - however you all choose to use these initiatives to improve your skills is great. The key is just jumping in and getting your hands dirty… Huge :+1: to you and everyone else who’s been doing that. And if you haven’t yet, give it a go - we think you’ll find it a very worthwhile investment.

• Brian
1 Like

Here’s another solution, sent in by Eric LaForce:

eDNA POTW 3 - Timesheets and Wages - DAX - January 2021 - ErLaf.pbix (949.9 KB)

Thanks very much for participating, Eric!

– Brian

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank those who reviewed and participated in this week’s DAX problem, Timesheet and Wages.

My solution has been posted to YouTube, but I’ve written-up some the thoughts I had while solving this problem.

Setup:
For both the calculated column and measures pages, I added some basic slicers, a reset slicers bookmark and button, and a table with basic time info

My Solution using Calculated Columns:

For me, my place of comfort is small steps, so I started with the smallest calculation I could; breaking down the daily hours into their regular, overtime, and holiday components.

(I’m verbose coder by nature, and as I don’t approach coding as if I’m writing for myself now, but rather for myself (or whoever will be maintaining the code) in 6 months when I’ve forgotten my train of thought and need to understand and enhance my code, I’ll happily err on the side of readability over performance most of the time. I know this is by no means a performance solution, but in my opinion is very readable and easy to understand.)

So, to get the [Regular Hours], I opened the [Time] table and create a calculated column for [Regular Hours] (using the “CC-” prefix)

CC-Regular Hours = 
VAR _Hours = 'Time'[Hours]
VAR _IsHolidayDay = IF( RELATED( Dates[IsHoliday] ) = TRUE(), 1, 0 )
VAR _IsWeekendDay = IF( RELATED( Dates[Day Type] ) = "Weekend", 1, 0 )
VAR _IsRegularDay = IF( _IsHolidayDay + _IsWeekendDay = 0, 1, 0 )
VAR _Result = SWITCH( TRUE(),
_IsHolidayDay = 1, BLANK(),
_IsWeekendDay = 1, BLANK(),
_IsRegularDay = 1, IF( _Hours <= 8, _Hours, 8)
)
RETURN
_Result
  • First I grabbed the [Hours] entry and place into a variable
    • (I always use an underscore prefix on my DAX variables as I find it makes my code easier to read and also ensures I don’t accidentally choose a column by mistake when using the built-in Intellisense in the DAX editor window)
    • (Also, I use the keyboard shortcut of CTRL + the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the font size in the DAX Editor window)
  • Next I need to figure out the day type, so I create boolean (1/0) variables to calculate if it’s a holiday, weekend, or regular day
  • I can leverage the data model to see if it’s a holiday by checking the related Dates[IsHoliday] value
  • I can again leverage the data model to see if it’s a weekend day by checking if the related Dates[Day Type] value is “Weekend”
  • From there, it’s a regular day if its not a holiday or weekend; as the “Holiday” and “Weekend” fields are 1/0’s, I can use a simple sum to calculate if it’s a Regular day (a 1/0 as well)
  • Now I can calculate my result, using a SWITCH TRUE statement to return
    • BLANK’s if it’s a holiday or weekend
    • For regular days, if the hours are 8 or less, use the hours, otherwise 8
    • Then use RETURN RESULT
  • Next, I can use the code from the [Regular Hours] column I just calculated to create another column for the [Overtime Hours]
    • I use mostly the exact same code, only changing the RESULT calculation to return BLANK for a holiday, all the hours if it’s a weekend, or the hours over 8 if it’s a regular day
  • Finally, I can use the code from the [Regular Hours] column again to create another column for the [Holiday Hours]
    • Again, I use mostly the same code, again only changing the RESULT calculation to return the full hours for a holiday and BLANK otherwise

So, now I’ve got my component hours calculated for each day and its time to calculate the associated wages

Now on to a new calculated column for the [Regular Wages]:

CC-Regular Wages = 
VAR _Hours = 'Time'[CC-Regular Hours]
VAR _WageType = "Straight Time"
VAR _Rate = RELATED( Employees[Hourly Wage] )
VAR _Multiplier = LOOKUPVALUE( 'Wage Types'[Multiplier], 'Wage Types'[Wage Type], _WageType )
VAR _Result = _Hours * ( _Rate * _Multiplier )

RETURN
_Result
  • Again, let’s get the hours, but this time we already have it calculated in our [Regular Hours] calculated column, so lets just use it
    • I also set a variable for [Wage Type] to “Straight Time” as I’ll use this later to get the wage multiplier from the disconnected [Wage Types] table
    • I can get the employee’s hours rate from the [Employees] table in the data model
    • To get the hourly rate multiplier, I need to retrieve the multiplier associated with the wage type, and I can use the LOOKUPVALUE function to get that from the disconnected [Wage Types] table
    • Then I calculate the RESULT being the hours x the rate x the multiplier, and finally RETURN RESULT

I can use similar code to calculate the [Weekend Wages] and [Holiday Wages]; so copy-and-paste the [Regular Wages] code and

• For [Overtime Wages], change the [Regular Hours] column to [Overtime Hours] and change “Straight time” to “Time-and-a-half”
  • For [Holiday Wages], change the [Regular Hours] column to [Holiday Hours] and change “Straight time” to “Double Time”

So, now I’ve got the component hours and component wages, and I have the total time from the data table, so its time to make a total wages column; this is just a simple sum using the component “wage” columns

Now, I went back to the CC page, and added these newly-calculated columns into the table:

• Add the [Regular], [Overtime], and [Holiday] hours
  • Add the [Regular], [Overtime], and [Holiday] wages
  • Finally, add the [Total Wages] column

As you can see, we have TOTAL values for all our calculated columns that are automatically shown in the table visual

Now, lets make a simple bar chart of total wages by department, and use wage type as the legend
(as an aside, when I have 3 categories to show in a chart, I tend to choose the darkest, lightest, and a medium colour for better contrast).

My Solution using Measures:

I followed the same basic pattern that I used for the calculated column solution, namely I calculated the component hours, and then use these to calculate the component wages, and then finally use simple sums to get the totals.

So, for regular hours, I copied the code from the [CC-Regular Hours] column of the [Time] table, but as I’m now not in the [Time] table, I can’t use the [Hours] column directly so I used SELECTEDVALUE; other than that, the formula is the same.

M-Regular Hours = 
VAR _Hours = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Time'[Hours] )
VAR _IsHolidayDay = IF( SELECTEDVALUE( Dates[IsHoliday] ) = TRUE(), 1, 0 )
VAR _IsWeekendDay = IF( SELECTEDVALUE( Dates[Day Type] ) = "Weekend", 1, 0 )
VAR _IsRegularDay = IF( _IsHolidayDay + _IsWeekendDay = 0, 1, 0 )
VAR _Result = SWITCH( TRUE(),
    _IsHolidayDay = 1, BLANK(),
    _IsWeekendDay = 1, BLANK(),
    _IsRegularDay = 1, IF( _Hours <= 8, _Hours, 8)
)

RETURN
_Result

I then did things the same way for the [Overtime Hours] and [Holiday Hours] measures.

Again leveraging what I’d already done in the calculated columns solution, I copied the 3 wage calculations and changed the direct reference to the associated [Hours] column. Then I used the measures I just calculated. Also, I couldn’t use the RELATED function as I’m no longer editing the table directly, so I used the SELECTEDVALUE function instead to get the employee’s hourly wage.

M-Regular Wages = 
VAR _Hours = [M-Regular Hours]
VAR _WageType = "Straight Time"
VAR _Rate = SELECTEDVALUE( Employees[Hourly Wage] )
VAR _Multiplier = LOOKUPVALUE( 'Wage Types'[Multiplier], 'Wage Types'[Wage Type], _WageType )
VAR _Result = _Hours * ( _Rate * _Multiplier )

RETURN
_Result

Once again, I can then do things the same way for the [Overtime Wages] and [Holiday Wages] measures.

So, as I did for the calculated columns solution, and now that I have the component hours and component wages measures, I made [Total Hours] and [Total Wages] measures, again using a simple sum and using the component “hours” and “wages” measures.

Then, I added these new measures into the table on the [Measures] page.

• Add the [Regular], [Overtime], and [Holiday] hours measures
  • Add the [Regular], [Overtime], and [Holiday] wages measures
  • Add the [Total Hours] and [Total Wages] measures

Here we see a difference between the two solutions: with the calculated column solution, we implicitly got total values, whereas there are no totals for the measures solution.

Similarly, when we use our same measures in a simple bar chart, nothing is shown.

This brings us to one of the most important “features” of Power BI visuals, in that one must pay particular attention to the totals when using measures. Virtual tables can be used in the DAX code of our measures to handle this situation. We can use the FIX INCORRECT TOTALS pattern post described on the Enterprise DNA forum.

So I created some new measures for the totals, and I prefixed these with “M2-”. So, for the [Total Hours], I first constructed a virtual table using SUMMARIZE to mimic the physical table in our visual. Then I used the SUMX iterator to sum over our virtual table.

M2-Total Hours =
// construct virtual table to mimic the physical table
VAR _vTable = SUMMARIZE( 'Time','Time'[Time ID],'Time'[Hours] )
// sum the virtual table
VAR _Result = SUMX( _vTable, 'Time'[Hours] )

RETURN
_Result

I then made a copy of our the first measures table, removed all the existing measure columns, and added the new [M2-Total Hours] measure; now we see the same row values but we have a total value this time.

For the new [M2-Total Wages] measure, I used a slightly different technique, seeing as I already have the [M-Total Wages] measure for the individual rows, and I just need a virtual table to calculate the value for the total row. So, for this one, I used the SUMMARIZE method to create a virtual table, and then the ADDCOLUMNS method to add the existing [M-Total Wages] measure. Finally, I used the HASONEVALUE function to check if its an individual row, and if so, just used the existing [M-Total Wages] measure; if it’s not an individual row (i.e., it’s the total row), then I again use the SUMX iterator function to sum over my virtual table.

M2-Total Wages = 
// construct virtual table to mimic the physical table
VAR _vTable = ADDCOLUMNS(
    SUMMARIZE( 'Time',
        'Time'[Time ID], Dates[Date], 'Time'[Timesheet ID], Employees[Employee], 'Time'[Hours], Employees[Hourly Wage] ),
        "@TotalWages", [M-Total Wages]
    )
// if single row, return existing measure; it total row, sum virtual table
VAR _Result = IF(
    HASONEVALUE( 'Time'[Time ID] ), [M-Total Wages],
    SUMX( _vTable, [@TotalWages] )
) 

RETURN
_Result

And you can see that when I add this new measure to my second measure table, the totals display, and now, when I make a simple bar chart of total wages by department, the chart shows correctly.

Discussion on the benefits and limitations of Measures vs. Calculated Columns

So, to summarize what I found:

Measures:
Pros:

• Best practice
  • Measures are NOT calculated when the data model is refreshed, but rather only when actually used in a visual

Cons:

• May require extra DAX code working on a virtual table representation of the visual to properly calculate totals

Calculated Columns:
Pros:

• Easier to learn, and is a familiar starting place for those coming from Excel

Cons:

• Each CC is physically created in the data model and increases the size of the data model and decreases the performance of the report.

For me, I prefer measures and tend to use calculated columns only when I can’t do something easily in measures; measures are my first try for everything (although I do have an exception to this personal rule, and you may have seen it in some of my Enterprise DNA challenge submissions, where I use a calculated column to create a small number of categories when there are many individual dimension values).

eDNA POTW 3 - Timesheets and Wages - DAX - January 2021 - GP Solution - Working Copy.pbix (683.7 KB)

4 Likes

All,

And thus concludes another very successful round of Problem of the Week. Huge thanks to all who participated, and also to @Greg, who did a terrific job developing and leading this week’s problem.

We hope you’re finding these both entertaining and instructive. I had an interesting experience this morning of being able to solve a member’s problem using a trick I learned in POTW #3, so I’m definitely finding that participating in these is upping my own skill level.

Final order of business – here are the winners of the drawing for the laptop stickers for this round. Winners – if you haven’t already, please send me your physical mailing address at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co.

@tweinzapfel
@AntrikshSharma
@C9411010
Eric Laforce
Sami Elzaim

Thanks, and we’ll see you next week for POTW #4, where @haroonali1000 has a great Power Query challenge already lined up for you.

– Brian

3 Likes

:mega::mega: Better late than never ! The task wasn’t that easy but I made it.

A calculated column is an extension of a table that’s evaluated for each row. Calculated columns live in the xVelocity in-memory storage of Power BI, just like all the other data you import from a data source. A calculated column is virtually the same as a non-calculated column, with one exception. Their values are calculated using DAX formulas and values from other columns.

A calculated measure is not treated the same as any other table column. Unlike a calculated column, measures are evaluated on the fly with every change in context. If you change a date filter from 2019 to 2020, all the measures will be calculated again. While this is nice for seeing context-based calculations in real-time, it becomes demanding on your computer’s processor.
Find attached my solution. :point_down::point_down:

1 Like

Hello Greg and Community:

The result video and your(the) explanation behind the project on time sheets was beyond excellent. Even with those great examples I have a few questions.
I am trying to generally replicate both the calculated columns and measure solution for two fields.
“Current Period Balance Hours” and “Paid”. The excel formula is kind of complicated but I believe that has been almost replicated in Power BI. But I definitely need some help.

I am fairly close but am struggling to integrate the prior month ending balance of ours to be paid when the logic calls for it.

I am attaching my PBIX file and an excel file that highlights the results (in yellow) I would like to obtain.

My .PayCalc.xlsx (136.5 KB) PayCalcs.pbix (115.3 KB) pbix file only has three employee ID’s whereas you’ll notice my excel file has more than three. I highlighted in green the three I’m trying to get figured out for this exercise.

Any input on this is sincerely appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance.

Best regards,
Bill

Thanks @Whitewater100 for your kind words … first time lucky. Apologies but I’m a bit under-the-gun at the moment and likely won’t be able to take a look at your issue for a few days; sorry. If your need is more immediate, perhaps create a new topic with your issue and PBIX for the forum members to pursue in the meantime.
Greg

Hi Greg:
Thanks for writing back. My need is not super urgent but am very interested in the answer! I appreciate if you can check it out ( very much appreciated) and I will put on the general forum if I can figure that out, which is probably easy to do.

Have a great week ahead.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Greg:

I was not able, so far, to receive any input from the community. I have taken the file further but am hung up on a couple of things. When convenient would you be able to check it out? I included the example result and a good definition of the conditional logic.

I appreciate any assist on this. I’ll attach the two sourcePayExampleExcel.xlsx (272.5 KB) PayExampleExcel.xlsx (272.5 KB) PayCalcsfor Forum.pbix (277.3 KB) documents that round out my question.

Thanks and I hope your week has been productive and great so far.

Bill S

Hi @Whitewater100 (Bill). I took a run at this, but don’t fully understand the issue from your examples and the notes on you “Overview” page. I’ve got to get back to the day job, but will try again tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Greg

Hi Greg:

Thank you for replying. It’s a pretty wild example so I get why it looks confusing. The excel formulas(two) that I’m trying replicate as both calculated columns and DAX measures are in column L & M on final pay calc tab on excel file (tab also highlighted in green.)

My new attached files are the same as the originals but the pbix file reflects the work I was doing today.

Because there are nearly 10 conditional statements in the “Current Hourly Balance” (excel column L)column it makes it drawn out. Once that column is figured out the wages should be easier as it’s positive hour result times hourly wage. No OT or weekends to consider. This scenario is on the monthly level for the roll up and final results.

I’ve been challenged because in certain cases we have to look at the prior month ending balance to add the negative (or positive) monthly hourly balance for the current month to.

Each employee has a target number of hours to work per day (rolled up to monthly) the difference between these two (ACTUAL - TARGET) is "Adjusted Target. Actual hours worked are (ADP regular hours + sick, vacation + other). So you’ll see the Adjusted Target result in one of my calculated columns in the Hours Table. That’s the main driver but there all those other conditions that makes it more complicated. The excel formula in column L is specific to these conditions. The formula is not intuitive.

I have taken three Employee ID’s to base this example on. #5,9 & 12. are in the .pbix

I replicated the approach in your solution video as far as the model set up goes.

Essentially the question is how to replicate the two excel formulas in column L & M in both calculated columns and by DAX measures. I did as much as I could so far. I hope all this writing helps a bit.

Thanks again Greg for looking at this. I really appreciate this.

Best regards,

Bill
P.S. Files uploaded to reflect todays work.PayCalcs.pbix (125.6 KB) PayExampleExcel-Highlighted.xlsx (151.8 KB)

Here is my solution for POTW-03, as promised !! :grin: :+1:

The trick of the problem really shines when we have to do the solution with measures.

Really enjoyed solving it with a bit of a headache and a huge load of learning.

Thanks, @Greg & @BrianJ for this amazing challenge. :100: :+1:

Can’t wait for the DAX challenge of POTW-04.

1 Like

Hi all,

Here’s another entry sent via email from Sayali:

POTW #3_SD.pbix (672.1 KB)

1 Like

Hi all,

Here is my solution to this problem :
eDNA POTW 3 - JBocher.pbix (675.8 KB)

2 Likes