Power BI Super Users Workshop problem with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR section

Hi guys. I am a complete newbie to Power BI and am working through the PBI Super Users Worksop training.

I am on the section “Simple Time Intelligence Functions” and after bringing in my measure for “Sales LY” , when viewing the results the figures in Sales LY are showing the same as the current year from 10th Oct 2018. Although the total amount of Sales LY is the same as the training video.

This image is from the training video

This image is my PBI Desktop

Power BI Super Users Workshop 18.09 12.52.pbix (398.8 KB)

Please can anyone explain where I have gone wrong? Much appreciated.
Thanks
Amanda

Hello @Amanda1,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Well this result happened because you’ve selected the “Dates” from the Sales table whereas in the given video Sam had selected the “Dates” from the Dates table.

Once you select the Dates field from Dates table you’ll have the desired result that you’re looking for.

Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Sales Same Period Last Year

Also attaching the working of the PBIX file for the reference.

Hoping you find this useful and meets your requirements that you’re looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Power BI Super Users Workshop 18.09 12.52.pbix (399.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much Harsh. I can see it a mile off now! Makes perfect sense :grinning:

Much appreciated
best regards :+1:
Amanda1

Hello @Amanda1,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad that I was able to help you.

Happy Learning!!!

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

1 Like

Hi @Amanda1,

Good thing about being new to Power BI is that you can adopt best practices :wink:

For example in model view set all Table Keys in fact tables to “Hide in Report view” that way you’ll automatically be forced to select dimensions instead. Selecting a ‘wrong’ date field will no longer be possible :+1:

1 Like

good advice. Thanks Melissa :+1:

1 Like