Power bi report and dataset management

I am Sofie, and I work as a consultant. I started at a new company and the previous data analyst left the company already. I am in charge of 4 workspaces and several reports (± 70). All the datasets were on his name and refresh started failing as soon as he left. I had to ask access to all the data sources and I was in contact with the helpdesk to give me access to the gateways. Is there a way that we can better manage this in the future to avoid this type of issues? Can we work with active directory groups or a service account or something similar? And if so, can we still see who refreshed the report and datasets or should we keep a log of who used the service account in what period? Many thanks for your advice related to this topic Sofie

Hi @sofie

Yes you can use service account. But if you share the service account to others, you can’t track who refreshed the datasets or any other actions.

Share Service account only with developers.

2 Likes

Thanks Rajesh.
And what about active directory groups? Is that a better option?

Hi @Rajesh , is it possible to apply some security to Service Account and allow developers an access to only certain sources but not others? What are the best practices you suggest?

1 Like

@sofie

Yes you use active directory groups also.

If there are only two members in that group, both are left then you’ve to add new user to group, it’s again manual process

@StaceyL - Yes we can apply security to service account.

service account is not depending on any user.

Hope this clarifies

Hi @sofie, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since a few days ago.

We just want to check if you still need further help with this post?

In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hello @StaceyL this is a gentle reminder to that asking question after a question in the same forum thread around the same project or piece of development work is considered inappropriate.

You can create a separate thread for your other questions related to this inquiry so that other users can easily check the details of your queries.

For further questions related to this post, please make a new thread. More details can be found here - Asking Questions On The Enterprise DNA Support Forum

Hi @sofie, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

Noted, sorry for hijacking the post. Thanks for the kind reminder.